• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen this stamp before?

6 posts in this topic

Hello. Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this stamp on a Chamber of Chills 24 copy I recently picked up. Pictures are probably cruddy but it seems to say Ciro Dept  File Copy. Never seen one but I'm sure someone here has.

IMG_20170801_232500.jpg

IMG_20170801_232324.jpg

6 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Circ ( for circulation) Dept. File Copy. There are a lot of Harvey file copies floating around, but I've never seen one with a stamp before.

Appreciate it. Thought it said Ciro, but circ makes tons more sense. Sure doesn't look like a file copy as it looks well loved.

9 hours ago, retrocomics said:

Appreciate it. Thought it said Ciro, but circ makes tons more sense. Sure doesn't look like a file copy as it looks well loved.

Never seen the stamp before.  Might have been a true "file copy" -- one that was actually in a filing cabinet and consulted by office staff.  Hence, the wear and tear.  Most Harvey "file copies" are just unsold stock and were never anywhere near anybody's filing cabinet. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Never seen the stamp before.  Might have been a true "file copy" -- one that was actually in a filing cabinet and consulted by office staff.  Hence, the wear and tear.  Most Harvey "file copies" are just unsold stock and were never anywhere near anybody's filing cabinet. 

You're probably right. Probably was in a file cabinet until clean out time and taken home by a staff member who gave it to their kid to read.

5 hours ago, retrocomics said:

You're probably right. Probably was in a file cabinet until clean out time and taken home by a staff member who gave it to their kid to read.

Makes sense to me. For example, Western Publishing (Gold Key/Dell) was in Poughkeepsie, NY. I know several retirees who took comics home from the offices when the plant closed in the 1980's. It's a long time between those files being cleaned out and whatever stewardship those employees gave the books before we've seen them.