• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a couple of pieces nsfw

9 posts in this topic

First one seems like a complete one page story. It's signed by Poe De Leon 1980. I've been told that it could be the back cover for a Warren magazine. I've looked up the artists name and gotten nowhere..... The 2nd is a Thing drawing by p craig russel that's dated 1969. It was published in something as the back of it has that brown/orange looking stuff from it being glued on a page at some point. Probably a fanzine, but I've no clue on what it might be. Any help greatly appreciated. I've looked on the net for a while, and haven't been able to turn up anything. 

NOT P. Craig Russell. The Thing illo is DEFINITELY is a piece by David Russell, published on page 44 of Gary Groth's (Owner/Publisher of Fantagraphics) crude comic fanzine Fantastic Fanzine #11 from Spring 1970 (see scan below). I have also attached an image of the iconic Steranko cover from Fantastic Fanzine #11. Russell contributed to many early comic fanzines in the late 60's (e.g. Marvel Mirror, Collector's Chronicle, Comic & Crypt, E Pluribus Marvel, The Essence, Fantastic Fanzine, Freon, and many more), then moved on to become a renowned storyboard artist! I have some similar examples of his original artwork and would recognize his early work (and distinctive signature) anywhere. Russell did the storyboards for such awesome, classic movies as Batman (yep, the Burton one), Chronicles of Narnia, Tombstone, The Thin Red Line, and more! He can be reached by going to his website at www.dynamicimagesdr.com. He lives in Australia now but can be reached through his website.

Aaron

FantasticFanzine11-pg44-Dave-Russell.jpg

Fantastic-Fanzine-11-Cover.jpg