• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone upgraded a book?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Say I had a bronze key book in CGC 8.0 and I wanted to upgrade it to a CGC 9.0.  Any recommendations on the best way to go about it?  Are dealers receptive to allowing you to do a trade plus cash without having to give up the farm?  Anyone care to share their experiences?

My experience has been very different from dealer to dealer.  

Some i've done this with have no problem treating the "trade in" as cash and others absolutely treat as if they are buying it from you and will only give you roughly 60% or so value in trade.  

Never hurts to ask and if its a high end book a lot of the "more affordable" or slightly lower grade copies tend to sell faster for some dealers and are actually more desirable as they sell faster. 

Understand that the 9.0 is more valuable to the dealer than the 8.0. From his perspective he is downgrading to something that will be harder to sell. You cannot expect to get FMV credit towards towards the upgrade. I like the advice about selling it privately but obviously that is more work.

I personally think the dealers should take the difference between the selling price of the trade-in and the desired book, and multiply that difference by a reasonable profit margin (for example, like adding 30% to that difference)

I think selling it on your own for cash is going to get you the most bang for your buck. A trade situation isn't going to be ideal for anyone (you get less than FMV for your book, the dealer has to trade down to a less desirable copy, even if he does get a decent percentage on the difference.) Maybe a little more work, but if it's a truly desirable book, worth the effort.