• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1 Results
1 1

51 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Looking at the distribution, more than twice as many people thought the ASM 129 was a 6.5 than a 5.5.  Furthermore, almost twice as many people thought the ASM 129 was a 7.0 than a 5.5!

Maybe it's time to crack that puppy out and resubmit it. 

I hit the bullseye with Crimes at 3.5 the ASM though I put 6.5----I guess because I didn't notice the stain----only the corners and spine-----note to self, when using the magnifying glass to zoom in, don't only look at the edges lol 

39 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Looking at the distribution, more than twice as many people thought the ASM 129 was a 6.5 than a 5.5.  Furthermore, almost twice as many people thought the ASM 129 was a 7.0 than a 5.5!

Not making any excuses, but I went for a 7.0 based on viewing the book on my desktop PC monitor which is a temporary one as my dell one broke. The resolution is terrible. When the results came in and I saw it was a 5.5 I was a bit taken aback. I looked at it again, this time on my tablet and it was so much clearer I felt a wee bit embarrassed. Only time will tell whether it was my PC monitors fault, or mine for being a terrible grader.

I've just made an excuse haven't I hm

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

CGC hammers stains 2c

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hit the bullseye with Crimes at 3.5 the ASM though I put 6.5----I guess because I didn't notice the stain----only the corners and spine-----note to self, when using the magnifying glass to zoom in, don't only look at the edges lol 

Sadly, I did see the stain, but I guess I under-estimated how much it brought the grade down.  Ah well.  I'd be sorely tempted to have that book cleaned and resubmit.

54 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Sadly, I did see the stain, but I guess I under-estimated how much it brought the grade down.  Ah well.  I'd be sorely tempted to have that book cleaned and resubmit.

the rules mention that all books have been pressed. I would assume that whoever had this submitted would be wise enough to have cleaning done in addition to pressing. In other words, that book is probably as clean as it is going to be. Could be wrong but that seems logical to me.

24 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

the rules mention that all books have been pressed. I would assume that whoever had this submitted would be wise enough to have cleaning done in addition to pressing. In other words, that book is probably as clean as it is going to be. Could be wrong but that seems logical to me.

Actually, I think we are to assume that the books were pressed.  But in reality, they may not be.  But still, we're not supposed to grade them based on what they could be improved to be, but rather grade them at face value.  I think it's safe to assume none of the books in this contest have a soft bend or other defects invisible in a scan. 

37 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Actually, I think we are to assume that the books were pressed.  But in reality, they may not be.  But still, we're not supposed to grade them based on what they could be improved to be, but rather grade them at face value.  I think it's safe to assume none of the books in this contest have a soft bend or other defects invisible in a scan. 

:whatev:

Edited by 01TheDude

I'd have to agree with Westy. Assume the books were pressed. Not all of them were, but some or most, likely were, so it's easiest to say assume they all were. I just leave that sentence up in the rules, year after year.

I really don't know much about dry cleaning, so I wouldn't assume anything was dry cleaned.