• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men, Stan Lee, MLK and Malcolm X

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm working on a new podcast called "Racially Charged", with one of my childhood friends. We grew up loving comics together. We're both now 40 years old, I'm white, he's black. A few years ago we started talking about Black Lightning, and that lead to our eventual decision to start a podcast about black representation in superhero culture.

On our first episode, we're getting into a few different topics (proxy "black" characters like Martian Manhunter, Hulk, etc.;) and the main topic is about the oft-repeated line that Stan created the X-men with Xavier and Magneto as allegories/stand-ins for MLK and Malcolm X, respectively.

Now, I know this saw has been repeated many times, but does anyone know the FIRST time Stan said it, or at what point he started pushing the idea? Also, how many times he contradicted himself over the years by inferring that the X-men were actually an analogy for anti-semitism, lgbtq, etc? 

I've been doing a lot of reading, but I'm not finding any sort of concrete dates or times as far as when this narrative was first created.

Appreciate any and all input, thanks!

Also, related to the other topic, does anyone know when the story of J'Onn J'onnz family being dead and his being the last surviving Martian was started? Was it the 80's miniseries? I know early on there were other martians, etc. 

On 8/4/2017 at 7:10 PM, shortboxed said:

Interested in this topic, following for updates.

Are there any podcasts available yet?

Hi, thanks!  Surprised I got zero responses as this is a very knowledgeable group, but perhaps a Friday afternoon wasn't the best time, and everyone was asleep or something. Here's a Tuesday morning bump to see if I can shake any answers loose!

Thanks for asking, we just started recording last week, and want to get a few in the can before we start posting. We have mapped out a 12 episode plan, and get started on the first two proper episodes tonight. So hopefully we'll be posting them up shortly. Once they're live, I'll be sure to report back!

Thanks! We got the first two full eps recorded this week, the theme recorded, etc. Now in the process of getting the social media stuff set up, so hopefully we'll be launching within the coming weeks. The idea was to ramp up to the "Black Lightning" television series and hopefully piggyback any interest that may have, although that's not the full focus of the show.

If anyone has any specific characters or topics they'd like addressed, shoot 'em on over!

I'll pop back in once I have something concrete to announce re: the launch. Thanks for reading!