• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 4
4 4

134 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

remember-- this is a contest to guess what CGC would give it-- not my own actual grading. If I were trying to sell this, I would be more in the 1.0-1.5 range

There is a difference-- so please don't act like this is a true reflection of how others grade

But remember-CGC created the grading system-so their grades are the true grades.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

That is true for one book I own-- the rest are raw.

No I just mean-they created the grading system.  So one cannot say 'but the REAL grade would be-'

1 minute ago, kav said:

No I just mean-they created the grading system.  So one cannot say 'but the REAL grade would be-'

I'm not a professional grader-- all grades are subjective

my dog ate my homework

ALSO--- 59 other people had it at 2.0 -- maybe ask all of them why they gave it a 2.0

Edited by 01TheDude

27 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

I hate grading NM- to NM/MT books. There is a crazy amount of variance. Is this an issue CGC is known to grade loose since it has a tough black cover?

When I get books back, I usually think my 9.6's should've been 9.8s...

...and vice versa!

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I could have sworn with the crunch on the spine, and a couple of spine ticks made it a 9.2

I gave it a 9.0 for all that PLUS the soiling on front and back covers, bc crease, and what looked like a c-b dent in the "S" of Star.

3 minutes ago, Treemot said:

I saw the top spine corner blunting and a white spine tick in the middle of the book and guessed 9.2, maybe my seven to eternity I read is a 9.8 too :grin:

Oh well I'm doing much better than last year, one year of collecting is sharpening my eye a bit!

Yes last year I did so poorly I started to just give 1.0's to NMs and 10.0 to 0.5's etc.

11 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

I graded them at 9.6/1.8.  I'm very happy compared to last round.

Same here.  My initial grades were 9.8/2.0...then I convinced myself the 9.8 was actually a 9.6.  Thought the other one could be anywhere from a 1.5 to 2.0...but not a 2.5...hedged my range with the 1.8.  Gonna take my 3s and run.