• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 4
4 4

134 posts in this topic

I saw 4 defects on SW- FC: upper left scuff, ink scuff in S, scrape by issue number, scratch by 'last issue'.  Also poss stain in R.  went with 9.2.  

1 minute ago, adampasz said:

I said 1.5 on the Strange Advs. But it was a wild- guess. 

Same!

I can see 1.8, but 2.0 seems quite iffy. I thought 1.0 to 1.8 was the range reserved for 'bare minimum of eye appeal'...very heavy color loss here when compared to how the issue should look. I looked at a handful of 1.5 slabs of other books, and didn't see any that presented this rough.

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

Same!

I can see 1.8, but 2.0 seems quite iffy. I thought 1.0 to 1.8 was the range reserved for 'bare minimum of eye appeal'...very heavy color loss here when compared to how the issue should look. I looked at a handful of 1.5 slabs of other books, and didn't see any that presented this rough.

I thought 1.8 too.

I hate grading NM- to NM/MT books. There is a crazy amount of variance. Is this an issue CGC is known to grade loose since it has a tough black cover?

The SA was easy. It was for sure a 1.5 to 2.0. I leaned toward a 1.8.....but CGC doesn't really use that grade very often so bumped it to the flat 2.0 because I thought it was slightly too nice for 1.5.

14 minutes ago, AJD said:

Please don't ever sell me a 2.0

remember-- this is a contest to guess what CGC would give it-- not my own actual grading. If I were trying to sell this, I would be more in the 1.0-1.5 range

There is a difference-- so please don't act like this is a true reflection of how others grade