• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: PGM ASM 1

21 posts in this topic

This ASM 1 is restored.  A piece was added (original piece from another ASM 1).  There is no other resto.

I know it's going to get a purple label, but I'm asking for an opinion of "apparent grade".

1/4" spine split at the top.

Water stain on the "S" of Spiderman. That same waterstain is on the back cover too.

The back cover has an additional light water stain in the lower right corner.

None of the interior pages are water stained.

P1130521.JPG

P1130522.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Too hard to guess an "apparent grade"?

"Apparent grade" means the classification of the restoration. And deeming a grade with restoration taken into account may be harder to determine than a blue label. Meaning this would get a Purple Label with the added note on the label that says apparent restoration slight A apparent or slight C apparent etc.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

The stain, especially on the BC, is pretty large. IMO, the stain alone brings it down to 4.5 . Now factor in some of the other flaws. BTW, it is my understanding that, unlike a Qualified grade which ignores a flaw, an apparent grade still takes the flaw into consideration. I have usually been surprised to the downside on Purple Label books but sometimes they will give you a 'pity' grade. I'll go with 4.0 here as the book generally presents well.  

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

3.5/4.0 ish - depends on staple rust which seems present

I know this is hard to believe when you see that water stain, but there is no rust on the staple (it has not been replaced), there is no sign of rust migration to the interior pages either.

I was thinking 4.0 myself on this and will be very happy if it gets a purple 4.0.

I just wonder to what degree they assess the resto.  It's a large piece replacement, but there is absolutely no other resto.

1 hour ago, kav said:

which section of cvr is replaced?

haha.... I figured you'd be able to tell.

It's the image of Spiderman right in the middle of the front cover.  Notice everywhere where the background is slightly darker.  It's a large piece.

Apparently a kid clipped out spidey right from the middle of the cover.  He didn't even come in from the edge with the scissors, he clipped right from the middle.

By some miracle the inside cover advertisement matches perfectly where the replacement happened.

so he clipped right around the tube thing spideys in and part of the human scorch what about the word balloon how did he attach it why was it missing etc

Edited by kav

Interesting,so CGC didn't note the cover piece replacement? Is it possible the cutout is actually the original piece? It looks really good,before you said anything I looked the cover over a lot and couldn't spot.and still can't knowing.

I have a similar thing with my x-men 1 where one of the in house ad pages cover was cut out but taped back in.the CGC label just says tape on page 15.

On August 30, 2017 at 9:32 AM, gadzukes said:

This one has been graded and is coming back to me.

It graded as a Restored 3.5 B-1

Restoration includes: Tear seals to cover.

I was hoping for a 4.0 but the water stain pulled it down I think.

I was hoping for 4.0 too haha but its always hard to tell with scans!