• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE elusive Dark Knight Returns #1 4th printing
3 3

104 posts in this topic

So far I've learned from everyones experience, GST and DC listed address: this was a comic printed between the early 90's to 2007   There's no number or price on the book, I wonder if it is the same insert in the Dark Knight toy kit?

Edited by NCAmother

10 hours ago, NCAmother said:
21 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Here's another one to go chase....or maybe it's the same one.  (shrug)

7a63ea6662767c8abfc31c5bb0aeb038--dark-knight-returns-tv-movie.jpg

Awesome, this could be the source!!

This could be it.  From 2009?

MAR090269

This special collector set is based on one of the most popular and acclaimed miniseries of all time, Frank Miller's BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS!
    Included in this set are action figures of Batman and The Joker, both re-painted with a variant color scheme to reflect earlier points in the story, as well as the 48-page prestige format reprint of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #1.
Figures included:
* Batman 

• 6.25" h
    * The Joker 
  • 7" h
    Advance-solicited; on sale October 7, 2009 * Collector Set * $39.99 US 
    In Shops: Oct 07, 2009
    SRP: $39.99

10 minutes ago, John R said:

MAR090269

This special collector set is based on one of the most popular and acclaimed miniseries of all time, Frank Miller's BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS!
    Included in this set are action figures of Batman and The Joker, both re-painted with a variant color scheme to reflect earlier points in the story, as well as the 48-page prestige format reprint of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #1.
Figures included:
* Batman 

• 6.25" h
    * The Joker 
  • 7" h

Looks like the cats outta the bag, and the source has been found.:roflmao:

38 minutes ago, John R said:

MAR090269

Figures included:
* Batman 

• 6.25" h
    * The Joker 
  • 7" h

Do you know how many of these sets were produced? Also, is an insert comic like this, if rare enough, be of value?  Thanks,

Nate

14 hours ago, NCAmother said:

Do you know how many of these sets were produced? Also, is an insert comic like this, if rare enough, be of value?  Thanks,

Nate

Yes, a lot of the Marvel Legends reprints hold value. Especially in high grade.

16 hours ago, John R said:

MAR090269

Figures included:
* Batman 

• 6.25" h
    * The Joker 
  • 7" h

The book being discussed in this thread isn't PF, but that could have been changed for whatever reason.

58 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The book being discussed in this thread isn't PF, but that could have been changed for whatever reason.

Could have easily been subbed - what does China know about comic books???  Does the box of toys indicate that they were made in China? Probably . . . Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=MAR090269&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=MAR090269&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by divad

I finally found one! After looking all over the planet and giving up.I found a collector who had one through facebook and got it from them in trade!!!!!!!

These are the hardest thing I've ever tryed to hunt down! I need to find out how many sets dc direct made in the first place now!

On 10/8/2017 at 7:33 PM, Pizzafist said:

I finally found one! After looking all over the planet and giving up.I found a collector who had one through facebook and got it from them in trade!!!!!!!

These are the hardest thing I've ever tryed to hunt down! I need to find out how many sets dc direct made in the first place now!

Have you  checked out the comic?

Yes this is definitely it!!!!!...I worked so hard to find this! Can't believe I actually did. The production of this item must have been incredibly low. (Does anyone have a DC DIRECT email where we might get an estimate on how many were made?). I know it was only available to buy through Comic shops as a Diamond special order...And at that time very few people thought it was worth getting at all. Now many people want it for the comic.I called and emailed every major toy dealer I could find Online, Overstreet ads, I even called the jay and silent bobs secret stash and was so surprised one of comic book men actually answered the phone when I called there. In all reality the Joker action figure is probably worth just as much as the comic.(just try and find one!). Not sure if the Batman figure would hold the same value as the Joker since there are several other Dc Direct batman figures from other years that closely resemble this one. The comic would have to be removed by cutting it out of the plastic mylar inside.if i slid it out the back cover would probably get light scratches.I did see the CGC 9.8 sell on ebay a few Years ago.I was the second highest bidder.I believe it went for $430 then.Back when few people thought it was real or cared to find it. I was so bummed when I did not win that auction I wished I had bid more.

I had to bring out the big guns to get the figure. Luckily I had a book the collector really wanted that I had little $ in myself..so the trade was a win/win for her and me!

Still can't believe I got one!

Mr.Pizzafist

A few months ago I was also able to buy an empty box without any of the figures or comics .So If I can acquire the loose items I can build a second set.

Edited by Pizzafist

3 hours ago, Pizzafist said:

Yes this is definitely it!!!!!...I worked so hard to find this! Can't believe I actually did. The production of this item must have been incredibly low. (Does anyone have a DC DIRECT email where we might get an estimate on how many were made?). I know it was only available to buy through Comic shops as a Diamond special order...And at that time very few people thought it was worth getting at all. Now many people want it for the comic.I called and emailed every major toy dealer I could find Online, Overstreet ads, I even called the jay and silent bobs secret stash and was so surprised one of comic book men actually answered the phone when I called there. In all reality the Joker action figure is probably worth just as much as the comic.(just try and find one!). Not sure if the Batman figure would hold the same value as the Joker since there are several other Dc Direct batman figures from other years that closely resemble this one. The comic would have to be removed by cutting it out of the plastic mylar inside.if i slid it out the back cover would probably get light scratches.I did see the CGC 9.8 sell on ebay a few Years ago.I was the second highest bidder.I believe it went for $430 then.Back when few people thought it was real or cared to find it. I was so bummed when I did not win that auction I wished I had bid more.

I had to bring out the big guns to get the figure. Luckily I had a book the collector really wanted that I had little $ in myself..so the trade was a win/win for her and me!

Still can't believe I got one!

Mr.Pizzafist

A few months ago I was also able to buy an empty box without any of the figures or comics .So If I can acquire the loose items I can build a second set.

Great to hear!!!  Yes, it would be interesting to know how many of these were made.  What is a Diamond special order?

The Diamond catalog comes out every month for comic book stores to order the majority of their products from.And the items usually arrive  three months later.

So most stores probably ordered none for in-store inventory and only store subscribers with in-store subscriptions might had ordered one...=MEGA RARE

If you ever want to check one out just ask at your local shop.they will usually sell you one for a couple bucks.