• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will we ever experience another Marvel Comics success?
2 2

114 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

It's much harder, if even possible at all, to achieve Marvel/Beatles etc levels of success today because there are infinitely more entertainment options available today. If I like heroes I can turn to any number of comic companies, graphic novels, I have the ability to see any movie or tv show at any time in any place, I can be the hero myself in video games, I can go to theme parks, the list of options goes on and on. Marvel simply had to be better than DC comics. 

Yep,and that's what my Star Trek and Star Wars comparible post was about to Roy of @VintageComics in that we will never see the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek again like the Beatles and Marvel Comics.

But you know someone took that post and tried to make it a Star Wars is better than Star Trek debate.

:roflmao:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

13 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Regardless, it's one title. And even Kirkman has been unable to duplicate his success so far

It don't matter if he ever can duplicate it again. He created The Walking Dead. One of the top ten franchises of all-time. It likes George Martin doesn't have to duplicate Game of Thrones again. Robert Kirkman like George Martin have created two of the most highly popular fandoms in the last 20 years.

Kirkman is a top comic book creator.

He did what many companies will pay big money for in that he created a super top IP.

That's all he needs on his resume.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 8/14/2017 at 5:44 AM, romanheart said:

Marvel is now in possession by a very corporate entity.

The idea that the artists had the freedom to do the things they once did and are able to get approval from a board of executives will prove difficult.

Also, are people that in to super-hero books like they once were? We all like the classic characters. Are there any new major heroes within the last 10 years that can rival the ones we grew up with?

It seems to me the more realistic characters with reasonable modified abilities (Batman, DD, Cpt. A,...) or super/multi-powered characters (X-Men, GOTG,...) are where the movie success seems to be.

If you ask me, Marvel has given their creators too much freedom on their comics, to the point the characters are no longer recognizable.  There is no logical progression in character development from one creator to the next.

21 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

It's much harder, if even possible at all, to achieve Marvel/Beatles etc levels of success today because there are infinitely more entertainment options available today.

That was exactly my point.

Pop culture is not only about the quality of the product, it's about the palette or landscape that it's brought to market on.

Elvis, the Beatles, etc were all brought out at a time when there were less people , less competition and they were outrageous for their time.

Today everyone is outrageous. It's much harder to stand out in a crowd that way.

When Marvel hit the scene reading was a primary form of entertainment. Now there are a zillion other distractions.

So for someone to be really popular today, they need to stand out of the current crowd they are in.

I can think of an example in the current world but I can't mention it without getting zapped by the mods for politics.  lol

Considering that the masses are mostly simpletons, popularity never meant much to me.  Marvel and DC have been churning out garbage for decades.  It's like arguing between what kills more people, alcohol or cigarettes.  TWD only cracks the list because of zombie-ites.

argumentum ad populum

Edited by Ecranu

31 minutes ago, Ecranu said:

Considering that the masses are mostly simpletons, popularity never meant much to me.  Marvel and DC have been churning out garbage for decades.  It's like arguing between what kills more people, alcohol or cigarettes.  TWD only cracks the list because of zombie-ites.

argumentum ad populum

That's why I'm the valiantman.  No churning out titles for the masses.  Just great comic stories and art.  Unusual these days, but it's what they want to make and it's what I want to read.  It will probably keep Valiant from becoming the "third greatest universe" because "great" implies popularity for lots of people.  "Great" just has to mean "top quality stuff" for me.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/19/2017 at 3:39 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

It don't matter if he ever can duplicate it again. He created The Walking Dead. One of the top ten franchises of all-time.

I never got into walking dead so pardon my ignorance, but is it really one of the top ten franchises of all time?  That just doesn't seem right to me.  Top 10 of a certain media/genre?

On 8/23/2017 at 8:57 PM, Knightsofold said:

I never got into walking dead so pardon my ignorance, but is it really one of the top ten franchises of all time?  That just doesn't seem right to me.  Top 10 of a certain media/genre?

well, it sure is extremely popular. but as far as the tv show goes, its just formulaic, repetitive drek. derivative of the best zombie films and super gorey. it cant hold a candle to game of thrones, as far as writing, character  development, or anything else for that matter. just in ratings. it could probably go on forever, but its hard to believe it will beget endless spinoffs like game of thrones will. 

6 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

well, it sure is extremely popular. but as far as the tv show goes, its just formulaic, repetitive drek. derivative of the best zombie films and super gorey. it cant hold a candle to game of thrones, as far as writing, character  development, or anything else for that matter. just in ratings. it could probably go on forever, but its hard to believe it will beget endless spinoffs like game of thrones will. 

55556af942b2fc8469bce2ff8c41bf4f.jpg

On 8/23/2017 at 7:57 PM, Knightsofold said:

I never got into walking dead so pardon my ignorance, but is it really one of the top ten franchises of all time?

No, I'm fairly certain that no metric exists that can justify that claim.

32 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

So apparently the modern Star Wars vs Star Trek debate is WD vs GOT debate

I believe if we can find a different subject matter besides zombies vampires and superheroes and maybe even horror then we would have a reason to believe a new Powerhouse was in town. Basically just need something that has not been done repeatedly. But I've seen new fads come or even things that are not fads... and nothing has impacted as much as when Marvel first came around.

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I believe if we can find a different subject matter besides zombies vampires and superheroes and maybe even horror then we would have a reason to believe a new Powerhouse was in town. Basically just need something that has not been done repeatedly. But I've seen new fads come or even things that are not fads... and nothing has impacted as much as when Marvel first came around.

its called Game Of Thrones!!! 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Actually I think that the Walking Dead COMIC success is proof that people are receptive to everything, not just superheroes. If u were to tell me 15 years ago that a comic book that involves zombies would be a top selling book, and have a big hit TV show based on it I would've never thought it be possible. In that regard I absolutely attribute its success to the writer. I don't think that zombies is the selling point or the reason of its success. Kirkman didn't do anything groundbreaking that made people revisit zombies popularity. He just wrote a hellova book, and created a brilliant line of "human-heroes" and villains. 

Rick, Michonne, Negan, et al. They're the real reasons why people read the book, watch the show. Not the zombies. They could've killed ponies instead of zombies and it would've still worked.