• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

close

10 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Drewsky said:

Stop reading if you hate Ebay rants.

I was watching the Conan 172 cover that had a few days left on the auction and poof, it was gone to a buy it now/sold at the starting list price of 1000. I emailed the seller and let him know I was interested and willing to go higher than what he sold it for and I was going to bid on his auction.

I don't think I understand this part. So this was a fixed price listing...with a lower opening bid (that no one made) and a BIN of $1k? Someone hit the BIN? Was the BIN always $1k? or was that added later?

I ask because there would be no reason to bid higher than the BIN.

2 minutes ago, Drewsky said:

It was switched from an active auction to a buy it now.

Ah ok. So no one had bid and he changed it up. Now it makes sense. 

The seller's reasoning seems odd, I agree.

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Ah ok. So no one had bid and he changed it up. Now it makes sense. 

The seller's reasoning seems odd, I agree.

I would imagine that the auction didn't see a lot of action in the first few days, so someone contacted the seller privately and asked to "buy it now" for $1,000.  The seller agreed, changed or relisted the auction in coordination with the prospective buyer, and the sale was made.  It wasn't an excellent move for a seller looking to maximize value, but for a seller who needed money and was getting anxious about his auction (even if it had a lot of watchers), it makes a little sense.  Definitely a bummer for other folks, but it happens.  Sorry Drewsky!  Best, Lee

that was tough, not terribly necessarily shady, he didn't end an ongoing auction, but someone could have talked him into changing it to a BIN

as I am sure many of you do, if there is an auction I really like I let the seller know to not end the auction early because I will bid strong at the end.

Malvin

Edited by malvin

It doesn't seem to me like the seller did anything untowards here. The seller wasn't to know how the bidding might have gone in the last few seconds. Sounds like somebody took the initiative to make an offer for a sum that the seller thought was reasonable and so he sold it there and then for a fixed sum, instead of taking a chance on the auction. 

This has happened to me recently.  I genuinely wanted to bid/buy the Bianchi variant to X-men 513...listed at 2,750...on ebay...7 day auction.  Took 6 days to convince my wife it'd look great on the wall for that price or a bit more....and poof...removed.  I asked and he stated that no bids means no interest to a seller looking for an auction sale. ...Next time seen...on a major dealers site at 1,100 more, only 2 weeks later.   Sellers panic over inactivity and will sell to the first real interested buyer with a payment offer.  They often move them off ebay to save all fees and sell directly via other websites.  Nothing 'wrong' on anyone's part, sucks for colletors though.  I ended up learning from this and did the exact same thing with another cover and another seller entirely.  I simply contacted, said x, they said ok, I paid, I got what I wanted.  PULL THE TRIGGER is the lesson imho...and just learn that this is a rapid moving market it seems....10 year break and I'm just blown away

17 hours ago, Lee B. said:

I would imagine that the auction didn't see a lot of action in the first few days, so someone contacted the seller privately and asked to "buy it now" for $1,000.  The seller agreed, changed or relisted the auction in coordination with the prospective buyer, and the sale was made.  It wasn't an excellent move for a seller looking to maximize value, but for a seller who needed money and was getting anxious about his auction (even if it had a lot of watchers), it makes a little sense.  Definitely a bummer for other folks, but it happens.  Sorry Drewsky!  Best, Lee

Yes. That's likely what happened. But, probably at the request of the Buyer, who wanted to finance the cover and buy it via eBay rather than private sale.