• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hollywood heads for its worst summer box office in a decade
1 1

64 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Wolf Warrior 2 is an example of how China will make their own films that resonate with them more an eventually the intake of Hollywood films will go down.

Exactly.

There will be a day when China doesn't need Hollywood that much, and that day is arriving quick.

On 8/16/2017 at 2:00 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

I can care less about international because that market will eventually die out once they get used to big budget films with special effects, streaming speeds catches up with us, and more outlets open to see the film. 

100 percent agree. People should not be relying on the international market,especially China long-term.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Exactly.

There will be a day when China doesn't need Hollywood that much, and that day is arriving quick.

Yes, China doesn't need Hollywood but I would be amazed if upcoming Hollywood films don't have more chinese/asian actors cos of number of people there buying tickets.  Film can get easy 200 million from China alone.

12 minutes ago, godzilla43 said:

Yes, China doesn't need Hollywood but I would be amazed if upcoming Hollywood films don't have more chinese/asian actors cos of number of people there buying tickets.  Film can get easy 200 million from China alone.

I wonder if Marvel/Disney would do a movie on him than? 

6a781a2ae079addb830309c9d5bcc1a8--comic-covers-book-covers.jpg

Shang-Chi was born in the Hu'nan province of the People's Republic of China, and is the son of Fu Manchu, the Chinese mastermind who has repeatedly attempted world conquest and had a thirst for blood. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang-Chi

movies at expensive  ticket prices equals disaster.  The Mummy movie, for me, is the poster child for a movie that never stood a chance.  I loved the Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser so a reboot gets my attention... quickly.  However, when I saw the trailer last year, it completely turned me off from wanting to see it.  It was way too heavy on the CGI and it looked like it was going to be more explosions than story.  Tom Cruise, while usually an actor that does movies I like, may have been a liability in this one as he didn't seem to fit the role.  I hope we are getting to the end of overdone CGI.  

1 hour ago, 40sJohn said:

movies at expensive  ticket prices equals disaster.  The Mummy movie, for me, is the poster child for a movie that never stood a chance.  I loved the Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser so a reboot gets my attention... quickly.  However, when I saw the trailer last year, it completely turned me off from wanting to see it.  It was way too heavy on the CGI and it looked like it was going to be more explosions than story.  Tom Cruise, while usually an actor that does movies I like, may have been a liability in this one as he didn't seem to fit the role.  I hope we are getting to the end of overdone CGI.  

With Cruise the critics are tired of him, hold Scientology against him, and rate his movies bad lately. The film was not bad by any stretch and decent in a lot of ways. The question is did you want Mission Impossible combined with a horror film.

6 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

With Cruise the critics are tired of him, hold Scientology against him, and rate his movies bad lately. The film was not bad by any stretch and decent in a lot of ways. The question is did you want Mission Impossible combined with a horror film.

I have a feeling the Johnny Depp Invisible Man will bomb as well.Depp seems to be in the same zone Tom Cruise is with critics now as well.

When he did Tonto which I though he did a decent job at we find the critics turned on him.

I did my part (mostly)! I checked out what I saw in the theater's the last few years to see how many summer movies I saw.

And this year I DEFINITELY was going to see Dark Tower if it got even semi-remotely reasonable reviews....too bad.

* denotes my favorite movie of the summer

2017 (5) - Baby Driver, GOTG, WW*, Spiderman, Dunkirk - about 10% chance I still might watch Logan Lucky

2016 (7) - Civil War, Xmen Apocalypse, NOw you see me 2, Finding Dory*, Secret Life of Pets, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad

2015 (8) - Avengers 2, Mad Max*, Spy, Tomorrowland, Entourage, Jurassic World, Inside out*, AntMan, Mission Impossible

2014 - (4) Xmen Dofp, Fault in our Stars, How to Train your Dragon 2, GOTG*

2013 - (7) Iron Man 3, Great Gatsby, Fast And Furious 6, This is the End (free sneak preview but loved the movie), Monsters University, The Heat* (free sneak preview but loved the movie), Elysium

2012 (5) - Avengers*, MIB 3, Brave, Dark Knight Rises, Bourne Legacy

So I'm in the range, some movie years are better than others, but I guess at least a 10% dropoff from the last two years if you want to look at things that way...

BUT for Summer 2018, Avengers 3, Han Solo, Deadpool 2, Oceans 8, Jurassic World 2, Ant Man 2, and at least a 50% chance of Mission impossible....Next summer should be better for everyone.

23 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

For some reason, I rewatched the first Mission Impossible movie a few days ago.  It's a really, really good film. Cruise was perfect for it.  Maybe I will it a shot on dvd.

4 minutes ago, 40sJohn said:

For some reason, I rewatched the first Mission Impossible movie a few days ago.  It's a really, really good film. Cruise was perfect for it.  Maybe I will it a shot on dvd.

The first Mission Impossible is one of the worst films ever made. You don't take the main hero from the tv series and make that hero the villain. The biggest smack in the face to fans of a franchise I have seen within my lifetime.

2 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The first Mission Impossible is one of the worst films ever made. You don't take the main hero from the tv series and make that hero the villain. The biggest smack in the face to fans of a franchise I have seen within my lifetime.

Agreed, and that is why I have never watched one Mission: Impossible Tom Cruise movie.

I know a couple are pretty good and I would like them,but I no interest in the series after the slap in the face they gave the old series. IMHO.

8 hours ago, revat said:

I did my part (mostly)! I checked out what I saw in the theater's the last few years to see how many summer movies I saw.

And this year I DEFINITELY was going to see Dark Tower if it got even semi-remotely reasonable reviews....too bad.

* denotes my favorite movie of the summer

2017 (5) - Baby Driver, GOTG, WW*, Spiderman, Dunkirk - about 10% chance I still might watch Logan Lucky

2016 (7) - Civil War, Xmen Apocalypse, NOw you see me 2, Finding Dory*, Secret Life of Pets, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad

2015 (8) - Avengers 2, Mad Max*, Spy, Tomorrowland, Entourage, Jurassic World, Inside out*, AntMan, Mission Impossible

2014 - (4) Xmen Dofp, Fault in our Stars, How to Train your Dragon 2, GOTG*

2013 - (7) Iron Man 3, Great Gatsby, Fast And Furious 6, This is the End (free sneak preview but loved the movie), Monsters University, The Heat* (free sneak preview but loved the movie), Elysium

2012 (5) - Avengers*, MIB 3, Brave, Dark Knight Rises, Bourne Legacy

So I'm in the range, some movie years are better than others, but I guess at least a 10% dropoff from the last two years if you want to look at things that way...

BUT for Summer 2018, Avengers 3, Han Solo, Deadpool 2, Oceans 8, Jurassic World 2, Ant Man 2, and at least a 50% chance of Mission impossible....Next summer should be better for everyone.

Looking forward to Avengers 3,Deadpool 2 and  Jurassic World movies the most. I really got back into Jurassic Park because of the new movie. I actually re-read the book by Michael Crichton again because my interest came back in the series.

6 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Ahhh... I can see that being a problem.  Even though I watched some of the original tv series, I wasn't overly familiar with the cast of characters so I missed that aspect of the movie.  That would be a crappy way to treat the main character.  

The Phelps betrayal is what *made* Mission Impossible -- nobody saw that coming. The problem that movie had is that they killed off his team in the opening sequence, so the rest of the film was more a Tom Cruise movie than a true "Mission Impossible" one. That same issue is a large reason why 2 sucked as well. (Still, we all owe a great debt to Mission Impossible 2 for giving us Hugh Jackman as Wolverine rather than Dougray Scott).

They fixed this going forward, though. Mission Impossible 3-5 are all legit team films.

On Tom Cruise in general, it's worth resurrecting this piece from Scott Mendselson two years ago: Tom Cruise Hasn't Had a Real Flop in Nearly 30 Years.

Since then he's had two movies under-perform (Jack Reacher: Never Go Back and The Mummy) but Mendelson has defended both of those as well (he notes that The Mummy has made well over 3x its production budget worldwide -- not great, but not anywhere near a flop. It's also one of the few films ever to gross more than $400 million worldwide while making less than $100 million U.S.).

7 hours ago, 40sJohn said:

Ahhh... I can see that being a problem.  Even though I watched some of the original tv series, I wasn't overly familiar with the cast of characters so I missed that aspect of the movie.  That would be a crappy way to treat the main character.  

From a business standpoint it worked because Mission: Impossible is more popular now globally than ever with Tom Cruise as the main character now and not Phelps. 

Some times though the new reboots visions don't work if we look at the new Ghostbusters,Mummy, and The Dark Tower as recent examples.

I think Mission: Impossible would have failed without Tom Cruise.

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

The Phelps betrayal is what *made* Mission Impossible -- nobody saw that coming. The problem that movie had is that they killed off his team in the opening sequence, so the rest of the film was more a Tom Cruise movie than a true "Mission Impossible" one. That same issue is a large reason why 2 sucked as well. (Still, we all owe a great debt to Mission Impossible 2 for giving us Hugh Jackman as Wolverine rather than Dougray Scott).

They fixed this going forward, though. Mission Impossible 3-5 are all legit team films.

On Tom Cruise in general, it's worth resurrecting this piece from Scott Mendselson two years ago: Tom Cruise Hasn't Had a Real Flop in Nearly 30 Years.

Since then he's had two movies under-perform (Jack Reacher: Never Go Back and The Mummy) but Mendelson has defended both of those as well (he notes that The Mummy has made well over 3x its production budget worldwide -- not great, but not anywhere near a flop. It's also one of the few films ever to gross more than $400 million worldwide while making less than $100 million U.S.).

Im the guy who thinks the even numbers  are great and the odd films are soso films. The Cruise films work because essentially he is playing Nimoy's character type the best character because of what he does in the tv series.

16 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed, and that is why I have never watched one Mission: Impossible Tom Cruise movie.

I know a couple are pretty good and I would like them,but I no interest in the series after the slap in the face they gave the old series. IMHO.

#1: Not only Cruise, but distractingly directed by Brian DePalma (twist after twist, set piece after set piece, but more Snake Eyes than Dressed to Kill.) Still interesting way to start out a "team" franchise. **1/2 out of four stars

#2: Not only Cruise, but distractingly directed by John Woo (stunt after stunt, set piece after set piece, but more Paycheck than The Killer.) I accepted Hard Target and Face/Off, but it's one dove short of interesting. Practically unwatchable now, unless you are into 2nd unit stuntwork and endless wirework. ** stars out of four.

#3: WOW! JJ Abrams figured out a way to save the series and make it feel personal for the characters. A vast improvement. *** out of four stars.

#4: I dragged my feet on this one as I hate Tom Cruise, but somehow it improves the formula of #3 and adds more characters. Now becoming better than most of the Modern Bond movies. ***1/2 out of four.

#5: The best one to date. The series has now comfortably stabilized into an expected satisfying movie experience. My only complaint would be I wish they kept Paula Patton from #4. Alec Baldwin's initially one-note character walked a way with the movie at the end. ***1/2 out of four.

By now, a great team is assembled and I hope it continues into #6.

2 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Im the guy who thinks the even numbers  are great and the odd films are soso films. The Cruise films work because essentially he is playing Nimoy's character type the best character because of what he does in the tv series.

I think he should have been more generous with the ensemble with the first two films. But, I think that comes down to the writers too. The first one needed a Simon Pegg character for comic relief (I know Emilio Estevez was funny in Stakeout, but... ) or a Jeremy Renner counterpoint to Hunt. Blown opportunities to set the franchise off. I think that one is just as convulted as it was in '96. If CC eventually does watch them, he'll probably stop at #2. lol 

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

From a business standpoint it worked because Mission: Impossible is more popular now globally than ever with Tom Cruise as the main character now and not Phelps. 

Some times though the new reboots visions don't work if we look at the new Ghostbusters,Mummy, and The Dark Tower as recent examples.

I think Mission: Impossible would have failed without Tom Cruise.

No doubt it worked and Tom Cruise worked and hooked me on the series.  It's been one of my favorites since it came out.  However, as good as MI was, MI2 was bad.  It was beyond bad.  Didn't like giving up hard earned money to watch Tom Cruise get his extreme sports jollies on while making a spy thriller.  Directing was horrible.