• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm kind of angry about an Ebay transaction

47 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, Westy Steve said:

Full of excuses my Azz.  If that guy doesn't reverse his feedback, I'll out him here...it's the right thing to do. I can't leave feedback for him on Ebay, and  I don't want you guys to get dinged by him.  I wish I could retroactively block him.

I understand your frustration but he kinda has a point (kinda).

If I ordered a $1K comic and it came wrapped in paper towel I'd be a bit upset.  Not that the price is relevant but you get the gist.  Comic collecting is a serious hobby for some people...1/2 inch scratches, 1/8 inch ding, etc...it matters to them.

***Golden rule...customer is always right:smile:

46 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I can't believe that more people aren't printing postage at home through Paypal, eBay or some other device.  It saves you or your customers money, and it saves you time, especially coupled with home pick-up from USPS.  I think the savings on a medium flat rate box are somewhere in the $2 range, which to me is significant.  Using Paypal shipping also allows you to ship first class up to just shy of 1 lb / 16 oz, whereas the USPS sites only allow 13 oz.

Amen! You can even get the boxes delivered directly to your home, so there's really no reason to go to a post office and interact with a person, like, ever. It's great!

I used to stay away from the medium flat rate boxes because that was a bit pricey for shipping raw books, but the Region A boxes, or a 1092/1095 combo, are ideal. 

I have no idea how they make money on the whole arrangement (I guess they don't, since they always seem to be in a financial crisis) but as long as they're offering to send me free packaging, let me print the tickets out at home, AND they'll come pick it up for free...there's just no other way to roll.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, FN-2199 said:

Here is a tip I learned this year that has helped me cut down on shipping time:

I print the label at home through eBay or PayPal (OK, this isn't news). Once the label is printed, I can drop it off at my local Post Office 24/7. I've noticed that some, not all, USPS offices have drop bins in the lobby which is open 24/7 for PO Box customers and shipping using the self-service postage machine. Now, when I can't get to the Post Office during the day, I can swing by at night and drop packages in the giant blue hopper drop off. My local post office even has a separate drop off for "Large Envelopes and Flats", perfect for mailing out single raw comics or a Gemini comic mailer. Then I drop the bulk purchase or slab in the package bin next to this drop off. I visit multiple Post Offices and not all have these drop offs but many do (the ones with the self-service postage machine). Check it out. If you can do this, your package will be processed at the end of the next business day.

I used to do this...until I had 2 consecutive packages on 2 different days completely crushed.  I can't prove what happened, but based on the way the boxes looked, it seems like someone came in right behind me and dropped what had to be a box of rocks on my package.  Remember, priority packages can weigh up to 70 pounds and the slide lets the package fall about 3 feet before coming to a stop.  There's the potential for a lot of force to be generated. 

I'm sure it was just an unlucky thing, but I've never trusted those dropoff points since.  But I love the package pickup USPS provides.  They deliver boxes to my door, I print postage online, and they come pick it up the next morning.  My handling time is set to 1 business day and I never have a problem. 

Honestly I can't imagine it taking more than 3 business days to get to the post office. Anything I put on eBay is already boxed and ready to go, I just need to print the shipping label.  I can understand the neutral because the person receiving the package is probably more excited about getting it than the seller is getting to the post office to send it. I don't think the "full of excuses" comment is necessary though.

7 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

Honestly I can't imagine it taking more than 3 business days to get to the post office. Anything I put on eBay is already boxed and ready to go, I just need to print the shipping label.  I can understand the neutral because the person receiving the package is probably more excited about getting it than the seller is getting to the post office to send it. I don't think the "full of excuses" comment is necessary though.

I've heard from folks in big cities that it is an extreme pain to go to the Post Office or to a bank.  If you've got a regular job, and commute, these kind of stops are probably a pain.  I'm lucky in that I live in a small town, and the post office is only 5 blocks away, and is never very busy.  But then again, I usually just print my own postage at home, and schedule a USPS pick up at the house.

32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've heard from folks in big cities that it is an extreme pain to go to the Post Office or to a bank.  If you've got a regular job, and commute, these kind of stops are probably a pain.  I'm lucky in that I live in a small town, and the post office is only 5 blocks away, and is never very busy.  But then again, I usually just print my own postage at home, and schedule a USPS pick up at the house.

I am sure some folks do live further away from the post.  Like you I live in a small town with one blocks away.  Until recently I commuted 50 miles to work each day so I get it (but there was a post on the Air Force Base I was at which made it convenient sometimes).

I don't recall seeing the OP say if he messaged the buyer to let him know he couldn't ship for 4 days, please correct me if I'm wrong.

A little communication can go a long way. I went into the hospital unexpectedly while I had a few auctions going...I was in there for 10 days and I made sure to explain the situation to the people who won the auctions that their books were going to be sent out several days later than the advertised ship time. No one had a problem with it and they were all very understanding...it only takes a minute to message someone to let them know what's going on. 2c