• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: Are Slabs or Mylar more attractive?

Poll: Are books more attractive in a slab or in mylar?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Value aside, do you think comics are more attractive in a slab or in mylar?

• Slabs all the way!
    • Mylar for the win!

39 posts in this topic

I like my golden age books in slabs, but that's mostly because I can only afford low grade which can be fragile.  Plus I don't care for much of the interiors of golden age.

Since I really enjoy reading my Silver age I deslab em into mylyte 2s w/fullback inside mylar.  I kinda miss seeing the back covers so I've tried the clear backing boards, but so far I found em to be too flimsy compared to a full back.

Something about a bunch of raw books grouped or stacked together looks the best to me, so on occasion I'll have some fun and give em some air.

10265300454_4d574453a8_z.jpg

34529941432_e0dd9042a3_k.jpg

13660110174_2102ad3840_h.jpg

15 minutes ago, mysterymachine said:

I like the look of  the 4 mil Gerber archive sleeves the best. But who doesn't like to add a new slab to there collection?

Those are my preference too.  Something about a rigid new mylar that makes even low grade books sing.  I've heard people say they're bad because of how they are open at the top but I'm not too sure.  For high grade or fragile books I'll place in M2's, and then into Archives.

2 hours ago, skrank said:

Those are my preference too.  Something about a rigid new mylar that makes even low grade books sing. 

images_zpsf50cfa7a.jpg

No matter the lighting a book in Mylar will always look better then it being in a slab. Less distance between the material and the book plus no multiple layers like you have with a slab.

I still love slabs though :foryou:

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, skrank said:

Those are my preference too.  Something about a rigid new mylar that makes even low grade books sing.  I've heard people say they're bad because of how they are open at the top but I'm not too sure.  For high grade or fragile books I'll place in M2's, and then into Archives.

Yeah the open top doesn't bother me. Its not like there's a big gap there. I mean not much can get in unless you store them in your garage,  I actually enjoy not having to deal with flaps and tape. 

2 minutes ago, mysterymachine said:

Yeah the open top doesn't bother me. Its not like there's a big gap there. I mean not much can get in unless you store them in your garage,  I actually enjoy not having to deal with flaps and tape. 

Just a light browning on the top like toast?  Yummm....,

Just now, lizards2 said:

If I was worried about dust I would just use a 2mil bag like skrank does. It's not my hangup to be honest. Keep the lids on your boxes and don't spill any beer over them and things will be fine.

1 minute ago, mysterymachine said:
10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If I was worried about dust I would just use a 2mil bag like skrank does. It's not my hangup to be honest. Keep the lids on your boxes and don't spill any beer over them and things will be fine.

Not my experience - will never store in open top mylars again.

Just now, lizards2 said:

You have that right. I don't recommend anyone use them if they have had problems with them in the past. Maybe in a few years I may have the same experience that you had. But so far I haven't had any problems. I've only been using them for a couple years. 

Just now, mysterymachine said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You have that right. I don't recommend anyone use them if they have had problems with them in the past. Maybe in a few years I may have the same experience that you had. But so far I haven't had any problems. I've only been using them for a couple years. 

Yup - you'll see nothing in a few years.  Then you'll see a tannish stripe in 10 years, and a brown bar in 15-20 years.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yup - you'll see nothing in a few years.  Then you'll see a tannish stripe in 10 years, and a brown bar in 15-20 years.

I know you have been collecting for a long time and I respect your opinion.  I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any discoloring, but using a 2 mil bag inside of the sleeves should protect against that shouldn't it?

Just now, mysterymachine said:
10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I know you have been collecting for a long time and I respect your opinion.  I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any discoloring, but using a 2 mil bag inside of the sleeves should protect against that shouldn't it?

If it is closed and creates an environmental barrier, of course.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, mysterymachine said:

I like the look of  the 4 mil Gerber archive sleeves the best. But who doesn't like to add a new slab to there collection?

The 4 mils from Gerber don't need cardboard backing, and if you keep them in mostly filled boxes you can see the back covers anytime you want.  (thumbsu

:idea: Mylite sealed with flap at the top holding label that you can flip to front or back to see entire book!