• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thundarr the Barbarian Art/Animation Cels - anyone seen any?

17 posts in this topic

Happy Saturday!

I've been on an animation cel kick recently, and I'd love to track down any good examples from Thundarr the Barbarian. Anyone out there ever seen any, or know animation collectors who might know?

And to keep it on topic, I'm also interested in any Thundarr original art used for merchandise and whatnot ...

Thanks!

Mike

Someone posted a model cell sheet in a FB group I was in, and the person who posted it was looking for a valuation on the piece, but I've left the group. I can't remember who the person was either. That was the only one I recall seeing.

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Thanks Brian. I saw those. I'm more interested in the production cels. I've found that animation cels are great ways to clutter up the walls of my daughters' bedrooms without my wife getting too upset with me :)

5 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I did ask one person who I've purchased animaton cells from in the past, and his reply was "I wish" - according to him, 70's-80's cells are hard to get.

No doubt, a collection came to market over the last few years of Rankin Bass cels from the Tolkien films they did. I grabbed what I could but wish I had bought them all. Very few collectors of this material but the prices are pretty high. The source seems to have dried up.

Ruby Spears and Sunbow studio production cels are notoriously scarce, from a combination of past destruction and current black-hole collection status.  Thundarr had a (sadly) short run, so there weren't too many cels to spread around in the first place.  

They are out there but it has been many years since I have seen any and I can't even recall the source.  It is high on my Want List as well.   

And so you can plan for it, Thundarr cels are usually $400+ when you can find a seller (I think the relatively bad side profile shot of Thundarr's face went for less, but again I'm sorry that I can't recall where I saw it.  Good full-body cels always demand a premium).

One mixed lot of them hit the market in the early 2000s and all of the more recent sales that I've seen have been rehashes from this same lot.    

On 8/21/2017 at 2:30 PM, Brian Peck said:

Alex Toth had designed the three main characters and Kirby did most of the supporting cast, villains, and settings. There have been some concept art by Kirby of the series at Heritage in the past.

I missed that Heritage auction with the Kirby concept art, and I kick myself often for that.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:43 PM, 1Toy2Many said:

And so you can plan for it, Thundarr cels are usually $400+ when you can find a seller (I think the relatively bad side profile shot of Thundarr's face went for less, but again I'm sorry that I can't recall where I saw it.  Good full-body cels always demand a premium).

One mixed lot of them hit the market in the early 2000s and all of the more recent sales that I've seen have been rehashes from this same lot.    

thanks for the heads up!

I think I've seen a few over the years but it wasn't a cartoon I was after. But I don't check many places only the usual eBay and Heritage. Good cels are hard to find from many shows. I haven't found a forum that discusses animation cels either. I started a topic here and there wasn't that much interest.

Also I think Van Eaton Gallery and Profiles in History could have been possible sources. They have animation auctions that I check out.

Anyone pick up the title cel just now? I was waiting for a month for that one, no clue what I thought it would go for but 4.5k... I could never find that image and determine its exact use as it doesn't seem to have been the actual title shown at the time. Still as a "1 and done" kind of piece it was nice.

Edited by cstojano

$4.5K!! I can't believe that Thundarr cel went for that much -- I was in it to win, or so I thought. But once I saw $3.4K wasn't going to get it done, I had to back off. Great cel though .. (sigh)

I'll content myself with the nice Wonder Woman cel I picked up. And to keep this on-topic, there were some nice OA pieces by Alex Toth from the old Underoo Ads that went for good $$. Congrats to the buyers and sellers!

Mike