• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Unrestored" raw Heritage win turns out to be restored

69 posts in this topic

Your opinion.............on every thread you participate in you lord your opinion over the top of everybody else's like you are some oracle. Go back through your own posts and count the number of self opinionated and unsubstantiated missives that you have spewed forth. You play favourites and subsequently allow this to colour all your views.

Leave the pandering and mewing for your forum dinners and try to understand that others can have an opinion as well. I for one do see this industry of ours being worse off as a result of the practices of such auction houses as Heritage and will continue to voice my concerns whether your opinion agrees with it or not.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Your opinion.............on every thread you participate in you lord your opinion over the top of everybody else's like you are some oracle. Go back through your own posts and count the number of self opinionated and unsubstantiated missives that you have spewed forth. You play favourites and subsequently allow this to colour all your views.

Leave the pandering and mewing for your forum dinners and try to understand that others can have an opinion as well. I for one do see this industry of ours being worse off as a result of the practices of such auction houses as Heritage and will continue to voice my concerns whether your opinion agrees with it or not.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh shut up you pansy.

I hope you will listen to my friend's requests and make an extra effort to accomodate him given the mistake you made. He is very disappointed. I misunderstood when I mistakenly posted that he considers the matter closed the other night.

I hope you will listen to my friend's requests and make an extra effort to accomodate him given the mistake you made. He is very disappointed. I misunderstood when I mistakenly posted that he considers the matter closed the other night.

What were the requests? Did something happen that has caused him to change his position on whether the matter was closed, or was it, as you noted, a misunderstanding on your part?

It was a misunderstanding on my part. It is most fair to both my friend

and Heritage that I don't make any further comments. I am sure Heritage

will do everything they can to help him.

Looks like entire interior spine is reinforced with a long strip of japan paper? (Not interior cover but pages)

Pic of the interior

893whatthe.gif Wow, that kind of tells the whole story there, doesn't it? foreheadslap.gif I don't see how anyone could have missed that. confused.gif

They didn't check the insides on their books very well this month.

I have to return two Tales to Astonish books for missing pages or pages with large peices torn off.

boo.gif

Heritage gave me credit for the two books with no difficulty.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like entire interior spine is reinforced with a long strip of japan paper? (Not interior cover but pages)

Pic of the interior

893whatthe.gif Wow, that kind of tells the whole story there, doesn't it? foreheadslap.gif I don't see how anyone could have missed that. confused.gif

I have to return two Tales to Astonish books for missing pages or pages with large peices torn off.

boo.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

"Credit"? Did they offer you your money back?

Pic of the interior

boo.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I need to make a payment for my last week's wins so it's as good as cash to me.

Ed Jaster and I are the two main guys taking consignment here, buying, grading etc. If we were involved in 10% of the conspiracies we were accused of, we would have time to do nothing else!

As far as when "Mushroom" says, "On the basis that it has a unique identifier (mailing label) it is extremely hard to fathom that they wouldn't know its' provedence and sales history.",

I sure did not know that. There is no way for us to know/remember where every item came from, all of its previous history, etc.

Who wrote the description then?????????

" This book was sent by mail to P.T. Buckley in Jackson, Mississippi back in 1935, and we've got the only known example of the original mailer to prove it! The mailer is complete, but brittle with many creases. The magazine's cover is in Excellent condition, with only a modest amount of wear along the spine. With its gorgeous glowing color, and only minimal aging apparent on the interior, we defy you to try to find a more beautiful copy of this book! Issues of this magazine are extremely rare collectibles, and this first issue in particular is highly prized. Also, this book is signed by editor Hal Horne on the first page. Truly, a bit of Disney history -- own it today! Overstreet 2005 FN 6.0 value = $3,750 (and that's without the mailer!). From the Larry Jacobs Collection."

Pic of the interior

boo.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

So you're saying they didn't offer you a refund.

So you're saying they didn't offer you a refund.

Looks like he was happy with the resolution though. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry I got on this thread so late. I just want to clarify my involvement in the matter--which is that I was not involved. I only check over books Heritage requests me to look at.

Lon is correct in that the book would certainly have been graded by CGC if they were able to encapsulate comics that large. To harp on Heritage missing restoration is unfair, since this situation will arise with any seller of raw comics. And that includes every single dealer in this business. The bottom line is that they took the book back with no hassle.

Matt Nelson

Sorry I got on this thread so late. I just want to clarify my involvement in the matter--which is that I was not involved. I only check over books Heritage requests me to look at.

Lon is correct in that the book would certainly have been graded by CGC if they were able to encapsulate comics that large. To harp on Heritage missing restoration is unfair, since this situation will arise with any seller of raw comics. And that includes every single dealer in this business. The bottom line is that they took the book back with no hassle.

Matt Nelson

Matt, thanks for addressing the issue. Always good to see you on the boards. We're still waiting anxiously for your book on pedigrees!

BTW, you can answer a question that, as I recall, Lon never did when asked by me in response to one of his postings - what is the extent of the contractual relationship you have with Heritage, i.e., what services do you perform for them?

Are you restoring books for them? Are you checking books for restoration? Are you pressing books for them? Anything else?

One would think working for such a large, prominent entity in this business, especially as an expert, would not seem to have the need for such secrecy as it does.

To harp on Heritage missing restoration is unfair, since this situation will arise with any seller

of raw comics. And that includes every single dealer in this business.

Matt, thanks for coming on these boards.

In response to your posting, there are some forms of restoration that can be missed but a premiere firm,

in which the customer places his trust, is expected to catch such blatant restoration work

such as spine reinforcement, especially given the high cost of the book.

816017296a.jpg

I understand the concern about Heritage, or anyone missing restoration. I haven't seen the book personally, so I can't give my opinion on this one. I do think it simply reinforces the concept behind CGC, and illustrates why encapsulated books bring more money.

A good idea for these oversized comics that cannot be graded is to simply have them checked over by a restoration expert as soon as they are purchased. Since it's obvious that Heritage will honor their guarantees, this system should cover all bases. There are so few comics that are too big for CGC anyway; I think this situation is a rare one.

Hi Mark, I'm working hard on the pedigree book. It's a lot more involved than I thought it would be at the beginning, but I've got some exciting things to put in it. Can't wait to get it out!

To address your question, as I've said in a previous string, my involvement with any client is strictly confidential. I don't think the size of a company justifies a change in the rules of disclosure. I hold all of my client relationships in very high regard, regardless of the amount of work they give me.

To address your question, as I've said in a previous string, my involvement with any client is strictly confidential. I don't think the size of a company justifies a change in the rules of disclosure. I hold all of my client relationships in very high regard, regardless of the amount of work they give me.

Far be it from me to object to client confidentiality.

However, I trust you have no objection to at least confirming that you are on contract with Heritage to perform some sort of service?

And I presume that you have no objection to Heritage revealing in their discretion the type of work you, as an expert, are performing as their contractee on books I may be considering purchasing?