• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaving comics in a vehicle overnight

8 posts in this topic

Question for the board - When traveling to a show with a large stock of comics have you ever left the books in a vehicle overnight?  Obviously there is the threat of theft but my worry is about weather conditions. I store my stock in a secure climate controlled indoor storage unit (not the cheapest option but it does a great job) and am hesitant to expose the books to even one night in different weather.  Am I just worrying for nothing?  Or is this something to absolutely avoid?   Any assistance and information is greatly appreciated. :foryou:

7 minutes ago, SkOw said:

Question for the board - When traveling to a show with a large stock of comics have you ever left the books in a vehicle overnight?  Obviously there is the threat of theft but my worry is about weather conditions. I store my stock in a secure climate controlled indoor storage unit (not the cheapest option but it does a great job) and am hesitant to expose the books to even one night in different weather.  Am I just worrying for nothing?  Or is this something to absolutely avoid?   Any assistance and information is greatly appreciated. :foryou:

Well I'm in Texas and it's "Summer 100's" right now and I wouldn't ..... I don't know much about summer in Michigan. Did you mean in summer?

Personally in Texas with the upper digits, it's still at least 70-80 degrees inside my house where the comics are, so I don't know much about Michigan summer's via temperature.....

My guess 1 or 2 nights isn't going to do anything drastic, even to slabs, but if it will help you sleep better at night etc. do what you can :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Thanks.  I would probably haul wall books and slabs into a hotel room but I can't fit 40+ longs in a hotel room easily. 

Correct it would be in Michigan. (Or in a a surrounding state).  Right now at night it is generally 60-70 here.  

3 minutes ago, SkOw said:

Thanks.  I would probably haul wall books and slabs into a hotel room but I can't fit 40+ longs in a hotel room easily. 

Correct it would be in Michigan. (Or in a a surrounding state).  Right now at night it is generally 60-70 here.  

ya electric bills hahaha just to keep it between 70-80 are crazy :) but if were talking 70-80 outside there then I wouldn't worry too much, if you have no choice. It'd be tough fitting it in a Hotel etc

I would definitely crack a window or something, but with that many long boxes there might not be a "window" in whatever vehicle etc, I mention just cause it would be musty or perhaps ferment comics lol but a night or 2 won't do too much. They wouldn't be in direct sunlight nor rain and if it's a necessity then you'll be alright.

shouldn't crack any cases, nor fade any raws, I don't think.... 

7 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I'm always worried about it as well while they're in transit but I've never had a book show any signs of deterioration etc.  During a package's trip from one coast to another its introduced to numerous changes in climate so I think you'd be okay.  

Good point. Thanks. 

I did my car was loaded with boxes I parked it right next to my motel room and I'm a light sleeper-I took the most valuable box in with me.

Doesn't the Post Office, UPS, FedEx, etc. do this all the time when shipping via ground transportation. I imagine that when shipping comics from coast to coast packages will stay in a truck for 2-3 days when travelling from hub to hub. What about overnight packages? Can you tell me that air cargo is climate controlled? How cold does it get back there when shipping air mail? Hot to cold to hot in the same day is not good but we don't seem to notice.

I'm just hoping my packages are dry.