• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice small Bronze Collection!!

51 posts in this topic

Shurely shome mishtake??

Where the hell did Sean Connery come from? 893whatthe.gif

Not a Connery impression, although I can see where you got that idea. It's a catchphrase denoting drunken editorial error, from my favorite satirical magazine, Private Eye.

Better and more insightful than all British newspapers combined, don't you know!

The very funny Mr Ian Hislop 893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't read private eye myself. But i do watch "Have i got news for you" 27_laughing.gif (I'm only 19, give me time yay.gif)

Shurely shome mishtake??

Not a Connery impression, although I can see where you got that idea. It's a catchphrase denoting drunken editorial error, from my favorite satirical magazine, Private Eye.

Better and more insightful than all British newspapers combined, don't you know!

I don't read private eye myself. But i do watch "Have i got news for you" 27_laughing.gif (I'm only 19, give me time yay.gif)

Didn't mean to sound patronizing. And HIGNFY is the only program I never miss, so good on yer.....

Shurely shome mishtake??

Didn't mean to sound patronizing. And HIGNFY is the only program I never miss, so good on yer.....

You weren't being patronizing tongue.gif I do like HIGNFY but i hate whatshisface, the other regular guy, he makes jokes and then sits there stony faced whilst people laugh. I don't know why but it irritates the hell out of me Christo_pull_hair.gif

everyone would assume the comics were fine condition by the way they were listed.

"Fine" would have been closer to the actual condition of the books I looked at. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So according to my info that people grade differently and that is why a large scan is provided. You used the scan and determined you would grade differently yes? And is the opening bid higher or lower than the value in fine condition for that particular book?

Having said that is there anything shady going on?

Yes.

Buy a grading guide and grade according to the standards defined therein. Certainly people "grade differently," but there's a difference between me and another experience grader having a .5 difference of opinion on a book and someone throwing up FNs and VGs as "NM" and hiding behind the veil of "people grade differently." The former is a healthy example of the differences between individual graders, the latter is either incompetence (as in you can't grade at all) or intentional deception. If you're that bad a grader, don't put a grade on the books at all.

I agree, but you only have to look at the latest round of the grading contest to see how wide a range different "expert" graders can produce. 7.0-9.4?!? 893whatthe.gif A tough book to pin down, but still...

everyone would assume the comics were fine condition by the way they were listed.

"Fine" would have been closer to the actual condition of the books I looked at. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So according to my info that people grade differently and that is why a large scan is provided. You used the scan and determined you would grade differently yes? And is the opening bid higher or lower than the value in fine condition for that particular book?

Having said that is there anything shady going on?

Yes.

Buy a grading guide and grade according to the standards defined therein. Certainly people "grade differently," but there's a difference between me and another experience grader having a .5 difference of opinion on a book and someone throwing up FNs and VGs as "NM" and hiding behind the veil of "people grade differently." The former is a healthy example of the differences between individual graders, the latter is either incompetence (as in you can't grade at all) or intentional deception. If you're that bad a grader, don't put a grade on the books at all.

That's exactly what I would have said. thumbsup2.gif

I agree, but you only have to look at the latest round of the grading contest to see how wide a range different "expert" graders can produce. 7.0-9.4?!? 893whatthe.gif A tough book to pin down, but still...

I don't know the book in question but that seems like an extreme example. Most of the grading threads I actually check in on are much closer that that. Was there bell curve" type distribution?

yeah, but...

the grading contest is on a computer screen. heck, you never get to look inside the book, examine the book at an angle, see the book in natural light, smell the dadgum thing...grading books on a computer screen and grading books in person are markedly different. you know that.

books in the grading contest can be like your totally hot and yet completely unphotogenic female friend. she's beautiful in 3D, but on paper she's all pasty and slouchy. if you know what i mean

yeah, but...

the grading contest is on a computer screen. heck, you never get to look inside the book, examine the book at an angle, see the book in natural light, smell the dadgum thing...grading books on a computer screen and grading books in person are markedly different. you know that.

And there's that too...

You are using logic and insight. Stop it. It is most unsettling!

every time i read your furshlurginner sig lines, i start singing that dadblasted Spider-Man song.

thanks a lot!