• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What/why/and how was 1964 the beginning of modern style comic book collecting?
3 3

22 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, shadroch said:

I started "reading' comics in 1963/64 but they were almost always trashed ,coverless copies that the older kids had read till the point of near disintegration. 

I remember asking for about a particular book, where Daredevil( my favorite) fought Spider-Man.   When I got it as a present from my older sister, I was convinced it wasn't the book I'd read at a friends house.  This one had a shiny cover on it.  Then again, around that time my Uncle gave me a signed baseball and I was amazed a baseball was white with neatly sewn seams.  I was maybe 12 before I met an adult who collected comics, a guy who worked around the church and I remember my Dad telling me I was never to be alone with the guy, for any reason. It took me years to figure out why, but I suspect he was correct.  My freshman year in HS( 1972) a teacher confiscated a comic I was reading in study hall. That afternoon, my football coach called me over and had the comic in his hand. I was afraid he was going to make me eat it when he started asking me if I liked Marvel or DC.  He was a Marvel guy, but admitted he would read the Justice League, and loved the JSA crossovers. 

He introduced me to a few upper classmen who collected comics. One guy had a bookcase full of them, many in plastic bags. By 1974 I was going to Phil's shows and buying and selling through what was then called The Buyers Guide to Comic Fandom. 

I've still got the Star Reach run I got from you..... Judy said she will kill me if I sell them. I was hitting the shows back then too.... but not those NYC ones..... and while today's shows are fantastic, there was really nothing like the early to mid 70's..... when you could pick up almost any comic you could think of for 20 bucks or less...... I still remember getting a high grade X-Men 1 and a JIM 85..... both probably 9.0, for $ 11......that was all I had left in my pocket. I think I hit that show with 50 bucks of saved paper route money, but a set of Hulk 2-6 for 30 dollars put a serious dent in my budget. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12