• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw something pretty awesome
2 2

66 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Wow Mac you  even found a picture of an Oakland. I'm  impressed. 

I like how he became enamored with comics when his grandpa didn't have much but passed down a $10 comic book to him that he never read...just-HERE TAKE THIS.

The excitement that lad is feeling brings back fond memories for me.

I used to be that excited even in my 30's, 40's, 50's when I would visit one of my local comic shops and there would be a new wall book I could afford or a book I had been looking for/wanting in the bin that was not there before.

I used to feel excitement like that when we were going to a small/local show, what will they have, what will I add to my collection today???!!!

The excitement, the anticipation!!!

eBay, age and a restricted income ended that excitement for me but it is GREAT that it still exists in some of the younger generation.

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Oh jeez!  227 pages?  Not sure if I can sit through all that, haha.  

Well in a nutshell several boardies took ol Justin under their wing.  Oakman sent him a moderately valuable captain america slab, which he immediately put up for sale.  Boardies started hammering him for that.  Then later someone else had given him some books and boardies asked 'are you gonna put those up for sale?'  he responded with why would I do that if someone gave me a gift?  :screwy:  He finally announced he wasn't gonna collect comics any more-and had stated several times he only wanted to collect comics to 'make money'-not to read or anything.  He started selling knives instead and that was the last we heard of him.

Edited by kav

5 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

The excitement that lad is feeling brings back fond memories for me.

I used to be that excited even in my 30's, 40's, 50's when I would visit one of my local comic shops and there would be a new wall book I could afford or a book I had been looking for/wanting in the bin that was not there before.

I used to feel excitement like that when we were going to a small/local show, what will they have, what will I add to my collection today???!!!

The excitement, the anticipation!!!

eBay, age and a restricted income ended that excitement for me but it is GREAT that it still exists in some of the younger generation.

I can still feel that way.

My days of ravenous, frantic collecting are over, but I am still active in the hobby. I'm married now, with kids and grandkids, so money is way different. Just a few years ago, I went to a small local comic show, muttering and crabby about having just a $20 budget! I don't need much anymore, but there are always targets; and that day, I wanted a Rawhide Kid #17. Lo and behold, I found a copy for $20.

The thrill and exhilaration   :banana:   that followed was every bit as strong as the old days, and made me believe that my enthusiasm for collecting comics will not fade anytime soon!    

19 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I can still feel that way.

My days of ravenous, frantic collecting are over, but I am still active in the hobby. I'm married now, with kids and grandkids, so money is way different. Just a few years ago, I went to a small local comic show, muttering and crabby about having just a $20 budget! I don't need much anymore, but there are always targets; and that day, I wanted a Rawhide Kid #17. Lo and behold, I found a copy for $20.

The thrill and exhilaration   :banana:   that followed was every bit as strong as the old days, and made me believe that my enthusiasm for collecting comics will not fade anytime soon!    

And I remember those feelings, so glad to hear that you and others can still feel/get excited about just finding a book you need/want even if though it is a low grade reader, for me that is what it was all about.

It was never about an investment and how much I could make selling them at a later date, never planned on selling them and still do not.

There are still a few books I need/want but even at $40.00 they are currently out of my price range so I check eBay every week and hope something shows up, I have purchased 6 books over the past 3 years so if something in my price range range should show up maybe I will feel some of that excitement again.

20 hours ago, kav said:

Well in a nutshell several boardies took ol Justin under their wing.  Oakman sent him a moderately valuable captain america slab, which he immediately put up for sale.  Boardies started hammering him for that.  Then later someone else had given him some books and boardies asked 'are you gonna put those up for sale?'  he responded with why would I do that if someone gave me a gift?  :screwy:  He finally announced he wasn't gonna collect comics any more-and had stated several times he only wanted to collect comics to 'make money'-not to read or anything.  He started selling knives instead and that was the last we heard of him.

Wow.  What a jerk.  If anyone ever gifted a golden age Cap to me, I'd knife fight anyone who tried to take it.  

4 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Wow.  What a jerk.  If anyone ever gifted a golden age Cap to me, I'd knife fight anyone who tried to take it.  

well it was a SA cap but still a pricey one.

Edited by kav

Hey.  A quick update.  I took books over to the young man named Tristan's house.  I met his mom and explained about the boards and how everyone thought it was pretty cool what her son collected.  I gave him the books that our very own Kav mailed to me.  It made his day.  He was really excited.  So, I want to say thank you Kav, that was a great thing! Also, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here.  I've met some pretty cool people and it's nice to feel like you belong someplace.  You guys rule! :headbang:

Love that story. I started comics at 8 than when the Marvel Value stamp book got ordered I really went after comics to cut the stamp's out :bigsmile:. ( I still have the book) I collected Spider-Man 1 up DD Hulk Jim I had all the early marvels from 1 up. I found a new store pier 39 SF when I was 16 and Bob Beeerhead showed me a copy of Action 10 vg 300.00 I was love with Golden age at that point. I had to trade a lot of my early marvels to get it and looking back he :censored: me good. I went to his other store in Berkley and also found a store called Comics and comix's  John Barret was the owner and he took me under his wing did trades with me that was fair great guy . I would go every week and he had Fantasy 15's FF 1's and TOS 39 saved for me at that time Fantasy 15 was only 100 book in vg he would take 120 in small book's for the trade like I said he was a great friend and that's how I started with help from John so I think its great you helping this kid :headbang:

5 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Yo! Another update. Another awesome boardie, @jimjum12, sent a book to me for Tristan.  I took the book over to his house yesterday and he was really shocked.  He was very appreciative and excited.  So, a big thank you to Jimbo! You rule!

what book?