• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Astonishing X-Men #1 - Can you please just tell me how severe this color flaking is?

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! 

I just received this J Scott Campbell variant for Astonishing X-Men #1 (Cover B), and I noticed there was some cover flaking in the top left corner.  I just wanted to know if you could lend me some of your expertise - is this a big deal?  Is it worth returning it over this? Would J Scott Campbell's store even consider this a "defect"? I wasn't planning on getting it graded, but I'd like the peace of mind to know it's at least a 9.6. The rest of the book is flawless. 

Thank you so much! 

20170828_212903.jpg

20170828_212913.jpg

20170828_205227.jpg

idk but I'm curious too I'd say that it would move it to 8.5/8.0

this is a Campbell book isn't it? I have a X-men 92 #1 Campbell color variant that has this flaking as well :( now I'm thinking that it is the "paper" used for "his" books....

I immediately put it away flat for the longest and then moved it to the Comic box about 3 months ago, and NOW it has that color flaking on it, the Black and White version of the cover does not though; so idk....

This would certainly drop it below 9.6 in my opinion. My understanding is that unless it becomes a known production flaw then this will probably drop the grade of your book. At the same time how big of a deal is it? Really I suppose it depends on how you feel. It cost $20, if it is worth it to you to dispute it then I would email him and see what he says.

Edited by jevlnuts

Wow, I didn't realize it'd lower the grade that much. This is my first time having any kind of problem from their site - usually they're great. I guess it's not worth returning it, but it is really annoying. I hope it'd at least pass for a 9.2, then. 

11 hours ago, askyla said:

Wow, I didn't realize it'd lower the grade that much. This is my first time having any kind of problem from their site - usually they're great. I guess it's not worth returning it, but it is really annoying. I hope it'd at least pass for a 9.2, then. 

Yours doesn't look as bad as mine. So I could see yours getting a 9.2. 

Especially if it's the only flaw...