• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Charles J. Mazoujian (Claire Moe) covers
1 1

71 posts in this topic

Here's some more. The first with the wide white spine was Biljo White's personal copy. The Angel's pose and the Amazing Stories is a little swipey. As far back as I can remember, it was always said that Claire S. Moe did the cover but then Charles John Mazoujian's name popped up. I believe he was interviewed late in life and verified that he drew it. The text story in Marvel 2 sort of clears that up because it's signed CJM, not CSM.  Mazoulian came into the comic book business through his brother who was working for Funnies Incorporated. There's some early Fox or Quality covers that he is credited for but I can't think of them.

inbox_5295__draft_1450218653448.jpeg

marvel mystery 02 MUCHIN POSSIBLY MINE.jpg

Pressed Marvel 2.jpg

TIMELY marvel mystery 02 gesoulis.jpg

timely marvel mystery 2 raw.jpg

marvel 2 amazing stories comparison.JPG

compton marvel 2 added.jpg

randy kesselring marvel 2.jpg

Text page.jpg

tumblr_n9ynfhZUic1qzoglfo1_500.jpg

From: http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2015_05_17_archive.html  

Ink-Slinger Profiles by Alex Jay: Chuck Mazoujian

Charles+Mazoujian+1939+Prattonia.jpg
Charles John “Chuck” Mazoujian was born in New Jersey on August 24, 1917. His full name and birth date are from the Social Security Death Index, and his birthplace was recorded on his World War II army enlistment.

In the 1920 U.S. Federal Census, he was the second of three sons born to John and Rosa, both Armenian emigrants. They lived in West Hoboken, New Jersey at 915 Highpoint Avenue. His father was a photo-engraver.

The next census recorded Mazoujian, his parents and younger brother in West New York, New Jersey at 21 20th Street.

Mazoujian attended Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York. In the school’s yearbook, Prattonia 1939, next to his graduate photograph (above), it said: “Mazoujian, Charles, Pict. Illus., 21 20th St., West New York, N.J….Artsmen Basketball ’36, ’37, ’38, Artsmen Athletic Director ’38, ’39, Prattonia Rep. ’38, ’39.” In 1937, three of his classmates in “Illustration I A” were William Bossert, William King and Roderick Parkinson, all future comic book artists. Mazoujian’s graduating class included John E. Ayman, William Bossert, Lillian Chestney, Charles Nicholas Cuidera, Philip J. Dring, Robert H. Webb and Stanley M. Zuckerberg; all of them would work in the comic book industry to some degree.

Mazoujian was at home with his parents and older brother in the 1940 census.

Who’s Who of American Comic Books 1928–1999 said Mazoujian’s career in comics began at the Eisner and Iger Studio in 1939; the studio was formed in 1936 by Will Eisner and Jerry Iger. When the partnership ended in 1940, Eisner formed his own studio. In an interview in The Art of George Tuska(2005), Eisner said to Dewey Cassell:
...when I left Eisner-Iger, three artists agreed to come with me: Bob Powell, Chuck Mazoujian, and Lou Fine. We opened a studio in Tudor City. And then Nick Viscardi came along, and Dave Berg and Chuck Cuidera.
Cassell: It sounds, at least for those of us looking back on it now, as if that must have been an exciting time to be involved in comics.
Eisner: Well, you know, everybody refers to the period as the Golden Era. For me, it was the Leaden Era. Everybody was working hard. Most of the guys in the shop were working to just make some money so they could go uptown. Chuck Mazoujian was the first guy to leave and he went uptown to become an art director and illustrator and a good painter….Uptown meant going to a major advertising agency….
Before Mazoujian left Eisner, his contribution was Lady Luck which appeared as a backup feature in the Comic Book Section Sunday supplement whose main feature was The Spirit. It debuted June 2, 1940. The Record and Herald News (New Jersey), March 27, 2011 said: “…he created the ‘Lady Luck’ comic originally modeled after his fiancée, then Edna Monson, who wore a stylish green hat.” According to American Newspaper Comics (2012), Mazoujian’s run ended May 11, 1941.

Mazoujian enlisted in the army on January 31, 1941. One year later his engagement to Monson was reported in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, January 29, 1942:
Bay Ridge Girl Fiancee of Cartoon OriginatorMr. and Mrs. Nils Monson of 1034 Bay Ridge Ave. announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Edna Monson, to First Class Private Charles J. Mazoujian of Regimental Headquarters, 52d Coast Artillery, Fort Hancock, N.J., son of Mr. and Mrs. John Mazoujian of North Bergen, N.J.
Miss Monson studied art at Pratt Institute. Mr. Mazoujian, a graduate of Pratt and, before being called into the service, an assistant instructor in evening art classes at that institution, is the originator of the adventure strip, Lady Luck, and is well known in commercial art circles. He is continuing his art work at Fort Hancock.

1942_01_29+Charles+Mazoujian+Brooklyn+NY+Daily+Eagle.jpg

While in the service Mazoujian’s art garnered attention. The New York Sun, January 9, 1942, said he was awarded fifth place in “Life in the Service” exhibition sponsored by the Hobby Guild of America and shown at Bloomingdale’s. The Richmond TImes Dispatch, (Virginia), January 23, 1942, said: “Outstanding among the pencil work is that of Private First Class C.J. Mazoujian, stationed at Fort Hancock, N.J. He depicts Army life on maneuvers in several pieces.” Some of those drawings were featured in Lifemagazine, February 9, 1942. Nine years later, Mazoujian provided two pencil drawings for Life, December 3, 1951, here and here.

After the war, the Record and Herald News said he returned to Pratt Institute to teach painting and figure drawing evening classes. His freelance illustrations appeared in many books. He was an illustrator for the New York advertising agency, Ogilvy and Mather, in the early 1960s. At some point he retired. His wife passed away October 3, 1992. According to telephone directories at Ancestry.com, during the 1990s Mazoujian lived at 20 Brook Road in Tenafly, New Jersey. Beginning in 2002, he lived with his son, Craig in Tucson, Arizona, then in 2007 with daughter, Gwen in Sacramento, California.

Mazoujian passed away January 14, 2011, in Sacramento, California. His death was reported March 27 in the Record and Herald News. An overview of his career is here, and his comic book credits are here.

23 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

here are some lady luck pics.  (Dunno if these were drawn by Chuck.)

ladyluck2.jpg

This panel was drawn by Chuck. :)

759120-ladyluck_87.jpg

This cover was drawn by Gill Fox. :)

Modern version:

5071005-ht5j%5Dggggggggggggggg.jpg

This is rubbish. :insane:

Here's what GCD has for Mazoujian, but Marvel 2 appears to be the only cover mentioned, but I thought I saw other books where CGC labels him as the cover artist. I remember an old thread that discussed some Claire Moe credited covers that really should be credited to Mazoujian.

https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/mazoujian/sort/alpha/

15 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

I guess the Marvel Mystery Comics #2 was his only cover.

Target #3 is also by him (signed "CJM"). GCD has it wrong.

When Claire Moe died in the early 80's, her collection (under a hundred books IIRC) was sold in CBG via J&S comics. I bought 10 of them, they were in really nice shape overall but the PQ was cream-to-OW. Jon Berk and Michael Music bought all the rest before I even got my package from J&S, and so when I called to get more they were all gone.

Understandable that both artists get confused with each other since they're both "CM".

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Target #3 is also by him (signed "CJM"). GCD has it wrong.

When Claire Moe died in the early 80's, her collection (under a hundred books IIRC) was sold in CBG via J&S comics. I bought 10 of them, they were in really nice shape overall but the PQ was cream-to-OW. Jon Berk and Michael Music bought all the rest before I even got my package from J&S, and so when I called to get more they were all gone.

Understandable that both artists get confused with each other since they're both "CM".

What a great story Steve! Thanks for sharing that.

I did some additional research on this topic. Charles Mazoujian is interviewed in Alter Ego 48. He states he did work for Timely but could not recall what it was. When asked if he was CJM he said he “might” be because that’s his initials, Charles John Mazoujian. In the interview, Mazoujian mentions his cousin Art Pinajian. Pinajian was a Funnies Inc staffer who has been credited as the artist of Jungle Terror in Marvel Comics 1 (under the alias Tomm Dixon). Pinajian may have used his connections to get his cousin Charles the Marvel 2 art assignment which was the cover and text story just before Mazoujian moved over to the Eisner camp.  Mazoujian did a couple of Targets and Fiction House as well as the Eisner books. After reviewing pages, I stumbled on this small panel from a Sally O'Neill Policewoman story that Mazoujian did in National Comics 2. The hero’s face appears to match the Angel on MM2 almost exactly. Another face from Jungle 13 is also similar with the thin eyebrows, hairline, ears and facial structure.

mazoujian mm2, national comics 2, jungle13.jpg

Edited by Ameri

whoops, got my titles mixed up. Mazoujian panel that resembles the Angel on Marvel 2 is from Sally O'Neill Policewoman from National 2, not Patty O'Day as I previously mentioned in error. Claire Moe did the Patty strip at Fox. Claire Moe was born in Switzerland in 1897 and died in 1976. Her middle name was "Stander." Another name she often used in comics was Orville Wells (after Orson Welles). Mazoujian died in 2011.  Two different people. As Sacentaur mentioned earlier, when Claire died, her collection was auctioned off. Here is her personal copy of Funny Pages 37.  

comic funny pages 37aa.jpg

Edited by Ameri