• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Charles J. Mazoujian (Claire Moe) covers
1 1

71 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Ameri said:

whoops, got my titles mixed up. Mazoujian panel that resembles the Angel on Marvel 2 is from Sally O'Neill Policewoman from National 2, not Patty O'Day as I previously mentioned in error. Claire Moe did the Patty strip at Fox. Claire Moe was born in Switzerland in 1897 and died in 1976. Her middle name was "Stander." Another name she often used in comics was Orville Wells (after Orson Welles). Mazoujian died in 2011.  Two different people. As Sacentaur mentioned earlier, when Claire died, her collection was auctioned off. Here is her personal copy of Funny Pages 37.  

comic funny pages 37aa.jpg

I have a dozen or so of her Centaurs from that auction as well.

However, they were all in excellent condition and did not have her name on them (cover or elsewhere).

Edited by circumstances

Interesting information, Circumstances! The Funny Pages 37 was a recent purchase. The back cover of mine is interesting with an address of 1 Knickerbocker Avenue written in pencil. The street is in Brooklyn and has been turned into a nightclub. 

Edited by Ameri

23 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Interesting information, Circumstances! The Funny Pages 37 was a recent purchase. The back cover of mine is interesting with an address of 1 Knickerbocker Avenue written in pencil. The street is in Brooklyn and has been turned into a nightclub. 

That's less than ten miles from where I grew up! Lol

On 6/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, Ameri said:

whoops, got my titles mixed up. Mazoujian panel that resembles the Angel on Marvel 2 is from Sally O'Neill Policewoman from National 2, not Patty O'Day as I previously mentioned in error. Claire Moe did the Patty strip at Fox. Claire Moe was born in Switzerland in 1897 and died in 1976. Her middle name was "Stander." Another name she often used in comics was Orville Wells (after Orson Welles). Mazoujian died in 2011.  Two different people. As Sacentaur mentioned earlier, when Claire died, her collection was auctioned off. Here is her personal copy of Funny Pages 37.  

comic funny pages 37aa.jpg

Yep, and thus I presume she’s the one who drew some of the Flip Falcon splash pages. Not sure which though in case it was a house name used by multiple artists.

axsYkHy.jpg

Vq9ABvw.jpg

ZmFMugw.jpg

MXNvl0Q.jpg

yvirSgx.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

53 minutes ago, circumstances said:

That's less than ten miles from where I grew up! Lol

I found this review of 1 Knickerbocker when it was still a restaurant and here's a pic

"1 Knickerbocker joins the long list of NYC landmarks featuring a word popularized by early American author Washington Irving and with a far better performance than the team bearing the same name.Look for the wooden door on the corner of Johnson and Knickerbocker, amidst the potholed roads, industrial activities (Steam was coming out of a nearby building) and adventurous bicyclists. Or, if you prefer, simply spot the posted menu and turn the knob to enter a world worlds away from the outdoor grit.The history of the location is as fascinating as the menu and both make a return entirely necessary. An homage to the industrial past is found along the wall as this was once a textile factory. The owner showed us a recovered and preserved advertisement from the building's other iteration as a bar and entertainment spot, most likely during the Prohibition era. The place does have speakeasy written all over it, considering the window-less exterior and sliding door to the backroom (with a small stage). A more salacious time saw this building double as a brothel. I always like a helping of history with my meal. And a brunch that includes crispy pork jowl will have my wholehearted attention." 

Clair home 1 knickerbocker avenue.JPG

1 hour ago, Ameri said:

I found this review of 1 Knickerbocker when it was still a restaurant and here's a pic

"1 Knickerbocker joins the long list of NYC landmarks featuring a word popularized by early American author Washington Irving and with a far better performance than the team bearing the same name.Look for the wooden door on the corner of Johnson and Knickerbocker, amidst the potholed roads, industrial activities (Steam was coming out of a nearby building) and adventurous bicyclists. Or, if you prefer, simply spot the posted menu and turn the knob to enter a world worlds away from the outdoor grit.The history of the location is as fascinating as the menu and both make a return entirely necessary. An homage to the industrial past is found along the wall as this was once a textile factory. The owner showed us a recovered and preserved advertisement from the building's other iteration as a bar and entertainment spot, most likely during the Prohibition era. The place does have speakeasy written all over it, considering the window-less exterior and sliding door to the backroom (with a small stage). A more salacious time saw this building double as a brothel. I always like a helping of history with my meal. And a brunch that includes crispy pork jowl will have my wholehearted attention." 

Clair home 1 knickerbocker avenue.JPG

He had me at "crispy pork jowl."

14 hours ago, Ameri said:

I did some additional research on this topic. Charles Mazoujian is interviewed in Alter Ego 48. He states he did work for Timely but could not recall what it was. When asked if he was CJM he said he “might” be because that’s his initials, Charles John Mazoujian. In the interview, Mazoujian mentions his cousin Art Pinajian. Pinajian was a Funnies Inc staffer who has been credited as the artist of Jungle Terror in Marvel Comics 1 (under the alias Tomm Dixon). Pinajian may have used his connections to get his cousin Charles the Marvel 2 art assignment which was the cover and text story just before Mazoujian moved over to the Eisner camp.  Mazoujian did a couple of Targets and Fiction House as well as the Eisner books. After reviewing pages, I stumbled on this small panel from a Sally O'Neill Policewoman story that Mazoujian did in National Comics 2. The hero’s face appears to match the Angel on MM2 almost exactly. Another face from Jungle 13 is also similar with the thin eyebrows, hairline, ears and facial structure.

mazoujian mm2, national comics 2, jungle13.jpg

great R & D Frank :preach:. Yep, Moe has incorrectly been credited to the cover to Marvel Mystery 2 in a lot of sources. CJM did the Marvel 2 cover and the signed interior text story. What is interesting is Moe was a Funnies staff member, so she conceivably could have drawn the cover on #2. The art comparison above is CJM (especially the National 2 panel) likeness. Even more interesting is how Everett's unused Subby cover for MM2 may have determined who received the honors to draw the second Marvel issue of all time..? It's odd to think that Goodman would approve a somewhat inexperienced cover artist (CJM) at that time to draw the MM2 cover. The backgrounds and bombs give hints to being Frank R. Paul's work from his pulp covers. Goodman believed the Angel would be a hit so I can understand him scratching (last minute?) Everett's Subby cover. Gustavson was busy doing the interior Angel stories. I would think Paul would have been given a shot at the #2 cover given that #1 sold out. 

32 minutes ago, Primetime said:

great R & D Frank :preach:. Yep, Moe has incorrectly been credited to the cover to Marvel Mystery 2 in a lot of sources. CJM did the Marvel 2 cover and the signed interior text story. What is interesting is Moe was a Funnies staff member, so she conceivably could have drawn the cover on #2. The art comparison above is CJM (especially the National 2 panel) likeness. Even more interesting is how Everett's unused Subby cover for MM2 may have determined who received the honors to draw the second Marvel issue of all time..? It's odd to think that Goodman would approve a somewhat inexperienced cover artist (CJM) at that time to draw the MM2 cover. The backgrounds and bombs give hints to being Frank R. Paul's work from his pulp covers. Goodman believed the Angel would be a hit so I can understand him scratching (last minute?) Everett's Subby cover. Gustavson was busy doing the interior Angel stories. I would think Paul would have been given a shot at the #2 cover given that #1 sold out. 

Yeah, as with most publishers that attempted to capitalize on anything they could, I presume Goodman was pushing for the Angel to be popular on the basis of directly capitalizing on Superman, but likely soon realized that he could just capitalize more on the more distinct Sub-Mariner and Human Torch, and also Captain America soon after.

Edited by Electricmastro

21 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Yeah, as with most publishers that attempted to capitalize on anything they could, I presume Goodman was pushing for the Angel to be popular on the basis of directly capitalizing on Superman, but likely soon realized that he could just capitalize more on the more distinct Sub-Mariner and Human Torch, and also Captain America soon after.

agreed. The Torch and Subby were outright wild and so unique at that time. It's hard to "see" what Goodman saw in a somewhat common, plain looking hero like Angel/Zorro-like. Give me the flame and pointed ears dude! :x

On 6/28/2020 at 2:44 AM, Primetime said:

agreed. The Torch and Subby were outright wild and so unique at that time. It's hard to "see" what Goodman saw in a somewhat common, plain looking hero like Angel/Zorro-like. Give me the flame and pointed ears dude! :x

I’m sure that there were several things about The Angel that appealed to Goodman including comparisons with other mustached Hollywood stars of the late 30’s (Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power, Don Ameche, etc.).  Also, the Idea that angels are generally seen as good omens in a faith based context.  So ideally, the character could be portrayed heroically without any direct religious affiliation.  That probably seemed like a win/win from every angle to the publisher. 

Where The Angel failed to capture the public’s imagination is his lack of super-human or supernatural capabilities when compared with other featured costumed heroes Timely produced at the time.  It’s a shame, really, as the character had great potential from the get-go.  

Who knows, if only he’d been given real wings back in ‘39 The Angel might’ve taken off. :sorry:

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Cheers!

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I’m sure that there were several things about The Angel that appealed to Goodman including comparisons with other mustached Hollywood stars of the late 30’s (Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power, Don Ameche, etc.).  Also, the Idea that angels are generally seen as good omens in a faith based context.  So ideally, the character could be portrayed heroically without any direct religious affiliation.  That probably seemed like a win/win from every angle to the publisher. 

Where The Angel failed to capture the public’s imagination is his lack of super-human or supernatural capabilities when compared with other featured costumed heroes Timely produced at the time.  It’s a shame, really, as the character had great potential from the get-go.  Who knows, if only he’d been given real wings back in ‘39 The Angel might’ve really taken off. :sorry:

I’m disappointed Claire Voyant didn’t take off more though.

tiueLOv.jpg