• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS THE CGC MARKET CRASH DEPRESSING YOU?

33 posts in this topic

Are you depressed?

Are you watching helplessly as the value of your high priced CGC books are slowly sinking like the stock market?

Are you in the dumps because your $5,000, one-of-a-kind, CGC 9.8 book took a nose dive down to $300 when a 10.0 popped up in the census?

Well, don't worry........Crash-R-Us Incorporated can help you with our simple, one-step solution illustrated in the video clip below:

suicide.gif

If CGC prices have been smashed into the ground......then why shouldn't your head be?

On a more serious note - I know a lot of people on these boards have been preaching the CGC market crash - but I'm wondering if anyone has seen a move (recovery) toward higher prices on some CGC'd stuff. Personally, I only track a few titles so can only speak for those. For example, silver age X-Men titles seem to have taken a little dip but have since recovered somewhat. Maybe due to the upcoming release of the X-Men 2 movie I suppose. What about some other titles? Are prices recovering?

Most of the people on here that preach the market crash are mostly doing so for over-speculated, late bronze-modern CGC 9.6-10.0 books, as well as any other common stuff.

Silver age is steady. I know because I've been tracking prices for almost 2 years. There are ups and downs, but this isn't due to any sort of crash. There are dips for many reasons. Sometimes through Heritage, there's a flood of high end material up, which drains and diverts cash flow in many different directions. There are too many factors that can cause prices to temporarily rise or fall, but I can say that for the most part the silver market has remained solid, especially for more popular titles/issues.

X Men books are currently on a slight upswing.

Are you depressed?

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with CGC. frown.gif

Are you watching helplessly as the value of your high priced CGC books are slowly sinking like the stock market?

Actually, I've been looking for CGC books to buy, but none that are high priced. smirk.gif I don't own any "high priced" CGC books, so I"m not sweating or anything like that. Hey man, there is life after CGC and comic books...

Well, don't worry........Crash-R-Us Incorporated can help you with our simple, one-step solution illustrated in the video clip below:

crazy.gif OUCH! frown.gif Sick man, your sick, my sick, sick friend. tongue.gif

If CGC prices have been smashed into the ground......then why shouldn't your head be?

Key word there is IF, and as already mentioned by AndrewKnight there are highs and lows in the CGC sector of the comic book market, and neither a high sale nor a low sale is a measure of the "average market value". Anyway, to answer your question...because there are more important things in life than comic books

CS,

You need to adjust your index somewhat. You only have 2 DC books....and they're both Modern books. You need a better sampling of DC books, especially Silver age and early Bronze.

I'd give the jumper a 9.7 . I've SEEN folks hurtle out of windows from a few floors up, to 30 stories or more, and it's a VERY accurate depiction, though eerily silent by comparison to the "real thing".

Of course, I've always viewed the spectacle from the perspective of the window that the jumper is exiting, but I'd wager that from what I've personally seen on aerial perspective, that's a pretty close ground level view simulation. shocked.gif Simple, basic, but very clean (the jumper not hitting parts of the building on the "express elevator" down). laugh.gif

Can you guys believe that Chrom can still have children after his perilous plunge? wink.gif

And, Hammer, you are twisted man! But, I must be too, 'cause I laughed MAO when I read your post. "A nice, clean jump"..... grin.gifgrin.gif

Chris

About exactly what I have observed and think also. Someone the other week was complaining about the lack of good high quality material on ebay. There has been a ton of good stuff around lately. Runs of high grade Avengers, ToS, JiM, X-men, many never before seen FFs, Hulk, Spideys from 1 up. Prices have been pretty stable too - some bargains but nothing crazy low except on books plentiful in high grade. There have been some crazy high prices though on fairly hard to find books - that FF 55 9.6, Journey 103, X-men 6 9.4 etc, saw an Avengers 2 9.4 but not sure it sold even at $3500 which is a decent price for that book. The good stuff continues to do well and the [!@#%^&^] and over priced/over hyped junk will fall by the wayside - as with all things.

When I first constructed the indexes I had trouble finding DC issues that traded enough in a given grade to make it worthwhile to put put them in an index. When I constructed the indexes I started by sorting all my data in descending order grouping titles, issues, and conditions together. Then I used the following method to winnow it down:

1. I first needed issue and condition combinations to trade often enough to make it worthwhile for them to be in an index.

2. I tried not to overweight on a particular title. If I didn't do this the indexes would be made up almost entirely of Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men. So I picked a few representative issues from those titles and eliminated the rest.

3. I wanted the issues where possible to be 'key' issues as opposed to some issue that traded a lot because someone hoarded a lot of that copy. So I skipped over a few higher volume issues in favor of #1's or books like Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8.

4. I further narrowed the list by selecting generally 'Low Price' books and 'Mid Price' books. I initially set the ranges as Less Than $100 and Between $200 and $400. I did this because my indexes are simple sums of the prices. It is not a weighted index. I needed the prices in each index to be close enough to each other that a single expensive book doesn't dominate the entire index.

5. I further simplified my 'Low Price' index by only selecting 9.6 issues.

6. I tried to limit the number of current 'fad' issues in the index. I wanted issues that I thought would likely be popular for years.

7. When computing the index only unrestored issues are factored in. Anything restored, qualfied, signature series, etc. is not added in to the index.

My first run-through I came up with no DC books at all. So I went even further down my list in a deliberate attempt to find at least one or two DC books to add to the list.

My auction database is now more than twice the size it was when I first constructed the indexes. In my spare minute I may go back and re-vamp the issues in the indexes a little bit. But I don't anticipate changing more than 2 or 3 issues in each index. I would like to find at least one more DC issue to stick in the indexes.

I may construct a 'High Price' index one of these days. But it would have to be a more complicated 'weighted' index because of the widely varying prices of expensive issues.

I hope you find the information useful. smile.gif

The Avengers #2 didn't get a bid at $3500. But it was a very reasonable price, seeing as how Comiclink recently had one listed for $6000(I think? It isn't there anymore). The FF #55 did not meet reserve at $1700+, which is actually surprising to me. I think people were put off because of no indication as to the range of the reserve.

The X Men #6 for $2500 is high, but not THAT crazy. Another copy in 9.4 sold for $2,324.00 last November. The JIM for $750 was way too much, considering I got my 109 9.2(a MUCH scarcer book) for a significant amount cheaper, although it was right before Christmas.

There is also a lot of nice stuff being "held hostage" at high prices with dealers, many of whom are obviously in no hurry to sell. I don't blame them, as the best material is slowly drying up.

There has been some decent stuff on ebay in the last few weeks, but nothing compared to ebay pre-Heritage days. There was a lot less [!@#%^&^], and a much higher concentration of quality back then.