• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good post-crash reference?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Are those prices really that bad? I remember being a young teenage collector in the 80s and always thought prices were pretty static and thought they would stay that way and that's how it was.

Todays version of comic collecting seems to be it always needs to be elavating.some dips occur,cool off period with an eventual rise return.

I don't think it will matter if there were a crash.there will always be people buying them.the internet has really changed everything about the hobby.

No PGX books have a stigma is why they are so cheap.  A 9.8 can have missing pages, anything is possible.  

6 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

Are those prices really that bad? I remember being a young teenage collector in the 80s and always thought prices were pretty static and thought they would stay that way and that's how it was.

Todays version of comic collecting seems to be it always needs to be elavating.some dips occur,cool off period with an eventual rise return.

I don't think it will matter if there were a crash.there will always be people buying them.the internet has really changed everything about the hobby.

Yes they are really bad compared to equal grades with other grading companies, especially CGC. 

I picked them as an example because by now it looks like the company has lost all credibility as far as grades and authenticity are concerned. But there are still people who buy them.

In a post crash era, regardless of what the cause would be, many people will find comics to be a less credible investment, which seems quite similar to me. 

People would still buy and spend a good penny on keys, much like they do now with PGX, but the prices will not be anywhere remotely close to what they would fetch with a more stable grading company/market

See,I thought you meant,after a crash are current PGX prices what you'd expect.to me the whole market is so high and just keeps going up at a too unrealistic rate.those pgx prices to me dont look so bad.again it my 80s mentality at work.I don't come from the camp that a book only 6 months ago that consistently sold for say $50 for years and becomes many multiples overnight and that's how it is.I'm sure to sellers its great.I don't sell,not in for investment.its still just a hobby to me,though extremely expensive vs how it used to be,at least for keys and high grade.I still collect runs and patient buying(thanks to the internet)allows for cheap fills.

8 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yes they are really bad compared to equal grades with other grading companies, especially CGC. 

I picked them as an example because by now it looks like the company has lost all credibility as far as grades and authenticity are concerned. But there are still people who buy them.

In a post crash era, regardless of what the cause would be, many people will find comics to be a less credible investment, which seems quite similar to me. 

People would still buy and spend a good penny on keys, much like they do now with PGX, but the prices will not be anywhere remotely close to what they would fetch with a more stable grading company/market

I've only purchased a few PGX slabs, but the ones I did (and cracked out)  we're accurately graded.

Not really a fair comparison, because I crack out CGC products frequently, but consistency is not a noun I would use to describe CGC's product.

Edited by lizards2
aliens and clarification

17 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

When/if a crash comes, comics as a collectible will have a stigma as well. Kinda like they did in the 90s

Did any of the other comics besides the foil manufactured collectibles crash because I dint remember ASM dropping in price.

8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've only purchased a few PGX slabs, but the ones I did (and cracked out)  we're accurately graded.

Not really a fair comparison, because I crack out CGC products frequently, but consistency is not noun I would use to describe their product.

Oh Im not trying to trash PGX, just drawing conclusions based on price comparison and stuff I read off social media. I think its sad really (for them) but alas that is the current status quo.

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:
13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Not really a fair comparison, because I crack out CGC products frequently, but consistency is not noun I would use to describe their product.

Oh Im not trying to trash PGX, just drawing conclusions based on price comparison and stuff I read off social media. I think its sad really (for them) but alas that is the current status quo.

Your avatar makes me say things.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Did any of the other comics besides the foil manufactured collectibles crash because I dint remember ASM dropping in price.

Yes, all prices dropped across the board, not to suggest that they became worthless. The ones that were still priced high were sitting there with no buyers, kinda like PGX books do now with bins

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yes, all prices dropped across the board, not to suggest that they became worthless. The ones that were still priced high were sitting there with no buyers, kinda like PGX books do now with bins

I think market fluctuations are different from avoiding low quality material.

36 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I agree with everything you say. 

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I think market fluctuations are different from avoiding low quality material.

You mean low quality as far as PGX cases or quality of grading? or altogether? 

I see it more as Market CRASH (comics post crash) equals a bottomed out product (PGX)

Money abhors a vacuum.  If PGX books were ok, people could make a ton of money by buying PGX and cracking/submitting to CGC.  That isnt happening.  The PGX just sit there.

Just now, kav said:

Money abhors a vacuum.  If PGX books were ok, people could make a ton of money by buying PGX and cracking/submitting to CGC.  That isnt happening.  The PGX just sit there.

Actually there are a few people I know that do that. The books are being stained by the label. 

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

Actually there are a few people I know that do that. The books are being stained by the label. 

:whatthe:

Just now, kav said:
2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

:whatthe:

Exactly.  I got a Dinosaur SSWS PGX 9.4 for about 35% of what it would have cost in a CGC label/slab.  I cracked it out, and it's a 9.4.