• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switching from poly to Mylar. Question....

3 posts in this topic

I have finally decided that Mylites2 standard 7" and Full Backs are the way to go  but I still have a few questions about the old poly's and boards I used. When it comes to chemical reactions do the boards or bags cause more damage? My poly's are both newer Polyethylene & Polypropylene and the boards are coated on one side. If there's going to be a chemical breakdown that would damage the book inside would it more likely come from the bag or board?

5 minutes ago, kingjohn3 said:

I have finally decided that Mylites2 standard 7" and Full Backs are the way to go  but I still have a few questions about the old poly's and boards I used. When it comes to chemical reactions do the boards or bags cause more damage? My poly's are both newer Polyethylene & Polypropylene and the boards are coated on one side. If there's going to be a chemical breakdown that would damage the book inside would it more likely come from the bag or board?

Good question.  Not a scientific answer but in my personal experience I think the boards solely due to the fact that over time I've seen moderate to severe discoloration on the backing boards.

Yeah I'm leaning toward the boards as well being one of the main contributors to problem. I've seen bags that are 20+ years old that have turned all sticky and yellow but the book seems to be ok whereas the board has the back cover ghosted on to it. That's can't be good. Anyone else wants to weigh in feel free