• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebayer pgcmint- any dealings?

17 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Where's the thread on new board quips. The new boards clearly have short memory problems.

I can't remember that either.

On 9/8/2017 at 6:49 PM, Grantley Goddard said:

Mark is a good guy, end of story. Buy with confidence.

From reading these comments, it sounds as though Mark has cleaned up his act from his World's Finest days back in the late 80's and early 90's when he was notorious for wet cleaning virtually all of his books and not disclosing this fact to his customers as he considered wet cleaning to be a non-restoractive activity.  Since he was also a professional restorer at the same time, it seem that he was never ever satisfied with a book even if it was already in HG condition, and as a result, was apparently always tempted to improve on the book.   (tsk)

Unfortunately, it looks like this type of work fell on the wrong side of the ledger when CGC opened their doors as these books all came back as PLOD's, while books with other types of work such as dry cleaning, pressing, etc. were eventually outed by the boards here as a non-restorative activity a few years later.

It's good to see that he's making the best of this opportunity because all of the other dealers used to assume right away that any book that passed through Mark's hands must have had some undisclosed restoration on them.  Not sure if this was always fair, especially when they could not even find the restoration sometimes.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From reading these comments, it sounds as though Mark has cleaned up his act from his World's Finest days back in the late 80's and early 90's when he was notorious for wet cleaning virtually all of his books and not disclosing this fact to his customers as he considered wet cleaning to be a non-restoractive activity.  (tsk)

Unfortunately, it looks like this type of work fell on the wrong side of the ledger when CGC opened their doors as these books all came back as PLOD's, while books with other types of work such as dry cleaning, pressing, etc. were eventually outed by the boards here as a non-restorative activity a few years later.

It's good to see that he's making the best of this opportunity because all of the other dealers used to assume that any book that passed through Mark's hands must have had some undisclosed restoration on them because he was also a professional restorer at the same time, and was seemingly never satisfied even if the book was already in HG condition. 

I can only speak from experience. I've bought a few books from him over the years and been happy. On one occasion I found out that a book had been pressed up to a 9.8. I wasn't happy as I don't like pressing really. I expressed my concerns to Mark and we had lively discussion back and forth.Bottom line he refunded my purchase in full inc. shipping and accepted the return. I would not hesitate to buy from him again. 2c

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

PGCMint only sells slabbed comics, so the concerns over undisclosed restoration haven't been relevant in quite some time.

He sells his raw books through userid scroogenightmare

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=272832565536&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=scroogenightmare&_sop=1

20 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Well, it looks like he has some nice ungraded books up there and best of all, they are in a true auction format with an actual end date.  (thumbsu

Much better than 99% of the other comic book listings which tend to be in BIN auction formats with really high prices that seems to sit on eBay forever.  meh

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
20 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Well, it looks like he has some nice ungraded books up there and best of all, they are in a true auction format with an actual end date.  (thumbsu

Much better than 99% of the other comic book listings which tend to be in BIN auction formats with really high prices that seems to sit on eBay forever.  meh

Yeah - he puts grades on some and not others.  Kind of irritating - not sure what the angle is...., hope?  These auctions do go for some pretty good dollars.