• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CRYPT OF HORROR #1 COVER - BILL BLACK, WINGS COMICS #88

8 posts in this topic

I hate to open a can of worms, but as I scrolled through the current COMICLINK auctions, I noticed an original art cover by BILL BLACK (CRYPT OF HORROR #1 COVER) that looked terribly familiar.  I collect Wings Comics ( golden age ) and I know my girls!!!

Turns out, the girl in the Bill Black image is an exact reversal of the image on Wings Comics #88.  Is there any way in hell that this practice is justified?

CRYPT OF HORROR #1 COVER.jpg

WINGS COMICS #88, CGC 9.4.jpg

Edited by spidey1962
grammar

On 9/10/2017 at 6:03 PM, Jayman said:

Yup, obviously a swipe. Would have been nice if he gave credit to the original artist but probably thought no one would notice. Good eye! And the original is so much better! (thumbsu

Bill Black had been friends with Bob Lubbers, the original artist, for a long time (until Bob's recent passing this summer). Bill hosted an interview and contact for Bob Lubbers at this corporate site, accomics.com, for a long time. It was the only visible presence for the artist where folks could get in touch for commission. Given their relationship, this is clearly more than an "idle" swipe, but a show of respect. A mention of "After Lubbers" would still have been better.

7 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Bill Black had been friends with Bob Lubbers, the original artist, for a long time (until Bob's recent passing this summer). Bill hosted an interview and contact for Bob Lubbers at this corporate site, accomics.com, for a long time. It was the only visible presence for the artist where folks could get in touch for commission. Given their relationship, this is clearly more than an "idle" swipe, but a show of respect. A mention of "After Lubbers" would still have been better.

Didn't know this, thanks for the info. Still agree that some sort of credit should have been given. That was my main thought after seeing the artwork.