• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does 'in grade' mean?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I've seen this term used for years and I know what it means but why or what does it truly mean? And why is it being used?Every book is in grade,a grade.it sounds like broken English to me.I'm thinking somewhere down the road someone read something that was an incomplete sentence and kept using it and it became an accepted termonolgy.

Or I'm completely missing something else.I've often considered it could be an abbreviation since its usually in reference of higher grade books.in grade=investment grade.

Just something that baffles me. Off to watch preacher season finale'.

I've seen it used alot to mean a decent mid-grade copy with no problems, no excessive tears, water damage, missing pages/coupons, no brittle paper, bug chews. Others opinions may differ of course. :) In some cases I assume cat-pee is not allowed either. 

Edited by fett

I use it interchangeably to mean:

1. if discussing a particular copy, rare in the grade shown; or

2. if talking generally about a tough book to mean hard to find in high grade.

I hope that people can tell from context which I am using.

Examples:

1. *Someone shows me a 7.0 copy of Horrific 3* I might then say: 'Wow, such a cool book, and impossible in grade too!'

2. *I am talking with another collector about 'The Man from planet X'* I might say: 'damn that book is tough in grade!'

8 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Examples:

1. *Someone shows me a 7.0 copy of Horrific 3* I might then say: 'Wow, such a cool book, and impossible in grade too!'

2. *I am talking with another collector about 'The Man from planet X'* I might say: 'damn that book is tough in grade!'

Exactly the same here.

10 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Examples:

I agree with all of this. 

Except the Man from Planet X thing. I think it's literally impossible above VG. All copies were split during printing as far as I can tell.