• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 423: Pivotal issue yes or no?

23 posts in this topic

Hmmm....well, it is the last issue of Superman Volume 1, and is (one of) the last appearance(s) of the PRE-Crisis Superman. The book also features a few of the greatest DC creators in the business; Alan Moore, Curt Swan, and George Perez. However, in the pivotal sense of vitally important, I would NOT consider the book to be a "key" issue, but at the same time it's difficult to call the issue a filler. Now if by pivotal, you mean a changing point, then YES, Superman 423 marks the end of the PRE-Crisis version of Superman, preceding John Byrne's revamped version of Superman. The title was re-named "Adventures of Superman" and started at issue 424, and featured the revamped version of Superman.

I have the TPB "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", that reprints Superman 423 (and another book I cannot remember off the top of my head)...I havn't taken time to read it yet though.

Thats why I said considering.

I am still going through some bnoxes and I am uncovering some comics I thought I lost.

BTW if your the man of steel why Batman avatar?

BTW if your the man of steel why Batman avatar?

lol! Because I'm young and restless... tongue.giflaugh.gif I started posting here with a Superman avatar, and have used a few different Superman avatars at times, but I grow tired of the same old avatar and sig more quickly than other people do. crazy.gif "The_Man_Of_Steel" is just a name, I had to think of something for a name, so I chose my favorite DC character, and I also wanted my user name to reflect my collecting interest, but as my avatar indicates wink.gif, my tastes vary smile.gif , I have interest in MANY Superhero characters both DC and Marvel. I also have interest in non-Superhero books like Star Wars and maybe even a little Conan the Barbarian. grin.gif To sum it up, my avatar is more of a reflection of me as a collector, than my user name. wink.gif

Which version of Superman do you prefer? I'm a bit torn between the two. On one hand, I like the fun, light hearted, smilin' Superman of the Silver Age/Bronze Age, and on the other hand, there were a few "silly" elements added later to the Silver Age mythos like Krypto the "Superdog", which if I'm not mistaken are NOT part of the Modern Age Superman mythos. I think many of the original revisions were a good thing (and less confusing), and that the new version started on the right foot. But, I'm not as into the more serious, long-haired, angry look on his face Superman of the 90's. I guess because IMO too many other "heroes" were portrayed in the same "light", and those characteristics seem to be more fitting for "anti" heroes like the Punisher, than for Super-Heroes like Superman. Between the two versions of Superman, I think the version of Superman that I prefer is "the boy scout" that never grew up.

If only I could "afford" to purchase high grade copies of the books with those classic tales...

Superman 423-Action 583, coupled with Superman Annual 10, are the best superhero stories ever written. Alan Moore hit two absolute home runs. If you haven't read them, go and do so, especially the Superman Annual 10, which is staggeringly good.

It may not be a key but is part of my favorite Superman story arc. I wouldn't slab it only because I would reread over and over. This 2 part story and the 4 part death of Superboy arc define the era of that Superman. Don't recall Superman Ann. 10 but will reread first chance.

As you prob. know, the Crisis and New Superman made Superboy a non factor in the DC universe. Bryne's Supes did not inherit his powers until adulthood or some such [!@#%^&^]. There was a 4 part story arc that wrapped this up as well as possible and resulted in Superboy dying at the hands of the Time Trapper. I have always thought this was the most heroic death I have ever read. I think it was in Legion 36 and 37(baxter series), an issue of Action and one of Superman. The Action cover is Bryne swiping an earlier FF cover he had done. I think there is a TDPB of this arc. I never was much of a Superboy fan but this story and the 2 part Allen Moore story that started this thread really bring home why Supes will always be the Greatest Hero of Them All. cool.gif

I know all about the crisis wiping out Superboy. I was a DC geek at the time...

What I meant was what Title and issues dealt with the death of superboy.

although with hypertime now it means he aint dead..

"Which version of Superman do you prefer? I'm a bit torn between the two. On one hand, I like the fun, light hearted, smilin' Superman of the Silver Age/Bronze Age, and on the other hand, there were a few "silly" elements added later to the Silver Age mythos like Krypto the "Superdog", which if I'm not mistaken are NOT part of the Modern Age Superman mythos. I think many of the original revisions were a good thing (and less confusing), and that the new version started on the right foot. But, I'm not as into the more serious, long-haired, angry look on his face Superman of the 90's. I guess because IMO too many other "heroes" were portrayed in the same "light", and those characteristics seem to be more fitting for "anti" heroes like the Punisher, than for Super-Heroes like Superman. Between the two versions of Superman, I think the version of Superman that I prefer is "the boy scout" that never grew up. "

Actually, Krypto is part of the modern Superman. Superman returned to an alternate Krypton that is more in line with the silver age Krypton. On Supes return, Krypto was sent through the "teleporter". I think it started with Sup v2 around issue 163 or so.

Key issues, both this issue and the Action issue (also by Moore, wherein Lois and Clark slink off incognito [just like the couple at the end of Watchmen]).

To me, any major milestone is a key issue. As a Superman fan, I was one of those who sought after (and bought) these books in the early 90s when I got back into the hobby. They're the last appearance of O.G. Superman, of course I wanted them!

Having said that some books are definitely "keyer" than others. Batman has a lot of keys, but I'm personally not very interested in, say, the first Silver Age appearance of Two-Face.

In other words, to each their own, and your mileage may vary.

Didn't the LSH bring Supergirl back to see Supes in one of these two issues? She had already been dead and so it was a rather touching moment, probably the last appearance of the real Supergirl.

No one comic pissed me off more than Crisis #7. Wolfman and Perez, boo, hiss. That was the issue where I stopped caring about the hobby because I felt that DC had no respect for the long time fans.

No one comic pissed me off more than Crisis #7. Wolfman and Perez, boo, hiss. That was the issue where I stopped caring about the hobby because I felt that DC had no respect for the long time fans.

Bah, if they didn't care about the fans they would just maintain the status quo.