• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mother (Jennifer Lawrence and javier bardem)
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I hope I'm not deviating too far from comics, but watched this movie, and would be very interested to hear others interpretations here.

There are some movie threads with comments ranging from brilliant masterpiece with hidden meanings, to WTF did I just watch.

I had a really hard time reconciling the theories with my interpretation of the movie... I was closer to the WTF camp.

BTW, the majority of comparisons are to bible lore... so there are lots of bible comics.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, bronze_rules said:

I hope I'm not deviating too far from comics, but watched this movie, and would be very interested to hear others interpretations here.

There are some movie threads with comments ranging from brilliant masterpiece with hidden meanings, to WTF did I just watch.

I had a really hard time reconciling the theories with my interpretation of the movie... I was closer to the WTF camp.

BTW, the majority of comparisons are to bible lore... so there are lots of bible comics.

I didn't know anything about this movie. But then I saw what audiences gave it. Cinemascore results were an 'F'.

I don't even remember a recent movie ever receiving an 'F' rating.

'mother!' gets a rare F grade from CinemaScore, but what does that really mean?

Moviegoers aren't happy with mother!, but not necessarily because they think it's bad.

Writer/director Darren Aronofsky's latest earned an F from CinemaScore. It's rare to see such a low grade from the Las Vegas-based audience polling firm, but when it does happen it's usually because of a marketing fail rather than a creative fail (though sometimes it is just because a movie is that bad).

Unfortunately for mother!, there's little room for nuance in CinemaScore grading. A 2016 interview in the Las Vegas Review-Journal with Ed Mintz, the firm's founder, clarifies what the letter grades generally equate to for a new movie's overall quality and business outlook.

"A’s generally are good, B’s generally are shaky, and C’s are terrible," he explained. "D’s and F’s, they shouldn’t have made the movie, or they promoted it funny and the absolute wrong crowd got into it."

That latter point is likely the case with mother!, which has gotten a largely positive reception from critics. As Angie wrote in her review:

"Some people will come away bowled over by its ambitions and artistry. Many will be annoyed to discover it's not the film the trailer is selling. Still others will react with ambivalence. All of those people will leave the theater wanting to talk about it afterward."

Even more bizarre is that RT gave it like 66% and audiences 42%, but if you go over to movie forums, a majority of viewers rate it as a masterpiece 4/5 to 5/5.

One critic called it the worst film of the century.

It has some elements that might disgust some and prompt them to walk out, and a lot of bizarre almost dream like violence sequences, but I don't have any problem with that. My problem is reconciling the intended metaphorical intent of the film,

with the actual film's execution. Not certain if I'd even have figured it out, without reading online commentary afterwards.

Edited by bronze_rules

I'm intrigued.

A review I found likened it to a Terrence Malick film, which could explain why literal-minded audiences dislike it. At least with Malick you _know_ what you're in for.

I've enjoyed some Aronosky (Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream) but found others (ahem! Pi) impenetrable.

The worst audience reaction I've ever seen in a theater was the ending of Polanski's The Ninth Gate 20 years ago or so. Marketed as a straight-forward mystery / religious conspiracy thriller with Johny Depp, it goes merrily along its way, until the final scene...

-- when we see Depp enter hell. The audience audibly booed. Truly a WTF? ending.

51 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm intrigued.

A review I found likened it to a Terrence Malick film, which could explain why literal-minded audiences dislike it. At least with Malick you _know_ what you're in for.

I've enjoyed some Aronosky (Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream) but found others (ahem! Pi) impenetrable.

The worst audience reaction I've ever seen in a theater was the ending of Polanski's The Ninth Gate 20 years ago or so. Marketed as a straight-forward mystery / religious conspiracy thriller with Johny Depp, it goes merrily along its way, until the final scene...

-- when we see Depp enter hell. The audience audibly booed. Truly a WTF? ending.

A lot of people didn't like Pi, but coming from the quant trading world, I found it superb.

I can say that almost the entire 3rd act of mother will be extremely disturbing and bizarre to many.

Edited by bronze_rules

21 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:
21 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

If you've seen any of Aronofsky's films it might give you some idea of what to expect (or not). I'm looking forward to this!!

I'm still messed up after watching Black Swan, 6 years ago (disc.) lol 

I remember being pretty messed up after watching Requiem for a Dream alone and in the dark late many years ago lol. I have enjoyed everything he's done though I have yet to see his last.

4 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

A lot of people didn't like Pi, but coming from the quant trading world, I found it superb.

I thought it was excellent as well.

At the other extreme, The Fountain was a bit too pretentious and tedious.

Edited by Ken Aldred

JLaw has always been good in promoting her movies.

You always see her on the cover of Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, etc when one of her piece of celluloid is about to open.

I would rather JLaw makes these kinds of "personal" movies than the kinds of mortgage (X-Men: Apocalypse hm ) types she has been doing.

I've been a fan of hers since Winter's Bone and was mortified to see her talent fade in the last X-Men movie.

She manages to shine even in the most oddest movie, The Beaver.

Just my 2c