• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question: Do you slab a book solely because it would be the top CGC Census copy?

26 posts in this topic

If you want to sell then slab it. If it's for your collection then don't throw away your money.

I only slab to sell yeahok.gif I prefer my books in Mylar grin.gif Now, answer my question! flowerred.gif

3.0/3.5

If it's Golden Age and not 50s then the GA curve might kick it up to 4.0.

poke2.gif

Pull your guide out pardner 27_laughing.gif I think it's a 4.5 possibly a 5.0 sumo.gif

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

Pull your guide out pardner 27_laughing.gif I think it's a 4.5 possibly a 5.0 sumo.gif

You think it's as nice as the Batman 5.0 in the last round?

Those spine creases are kinda deep.

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

You think it's as nice as the Batman 5.0 in the last round?

Those spine creases are kinda deep.

Easily sumo.gifgossip.gifNot after they clean up gossip.gifstooges.gif

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

I think you've been sniffing comic pages too long if you think that's a 5.0. tongue.gif

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

I think you've been sniffing comic pages too long if you think that's a 5.0. tongue.gif

And, what's your grade? devil.gif

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

I'll take that, but I bet it grades higher . . . poke2.gif

Now, answer my question! Please confused-smiley-013.gif

To answer your question, NO, I would not slab a book just because it would be the highest census copy. Especially if the book is low grade and not that expensive, simple because it likely that there aren't more in the census because it's not worth getting graded unless it was HG.

Plus a completionist who buys low grade books, probably buys "RAW" books more then CGC books anyway. They probably don't want to pay the additional CGC premium (i.e. grading fee), just to confirm that the book is low grade and unrestored.

3.0/3.5

poke2.gif

I'll take that, but I bet it grades higher . . . poke2.gif

Now, answer my question! Please confused-smiley-013.gif

The answer to your question: No, I don't. I slab a book solely to sell it! poke2.gif

David,

I think the question you have to ask yourself is why is a 3.5 the current top census copy? Is it because the book is difficult to find in mid or high grade, or because it is not worth slabbing due to low demand and/or the inability to command a premium as the result of certification?

Within yourself, you must look. Only then, the answer you will find.

-Master Yoda

PS, I wouldn't slab THIS book just to get top census. Doing that depends entirely on the comic, IMO.

To answer your question, NO, I would not slab a book just because it would be the highest census copy. Especially if the book is low grade and not that expensive, simple because it likely that there aren't more in the census because it's not worth getting graded unless it was HG.

Plus a completionist who buys low grade books, probably buys "RAW" books more then CGC books anyway. They probably don't want to pay the additional CGC premium (i.e. grading fee), just to confirm that the book is low grade and unrestored.

Thanks Steve. hi.gif