• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your opinion? Writer signatures on original pages.

7 posts in this topic

I recently acquired an original inked page from Detective Comics. The previous owner had already attained the penciller and inker signatures on the page. I have the opportunity to get the writers signature but wondering if it's worthwhile.  There is dialogue on the page so evidence of the writer's contribution Is obvious on the page. Is it overkill to get a non artist to sign the page? Could this negatively affect the pages value in the future or help it? Or am I over thinking it? 

5 hours ago, malvin said:

I do it all the time actually. It won't help or hurt the value unless the writer signs across the whole page in big red marker.

It gives me a reason to interact with a writer when I otherwise wouldn't at a con.

Malvin

+1 Got a sig from Jamie Delano in pencil in the margin of my Hellblazer #1 page. Sparked an interesting conversation about how they started to put everything together including how they only just missed out on their first choice name of Hellraiser by a matter of weeks. If I hadn't loved Delano's work on the book so much then I probably wouldn't have gone there. I also have some other modern pages signed by the writer before shipping (wasn't even there) again because I really enjoyed their work.

I have had other opportunities that I have passed on but mostly because of time constraints. It's your page do what you want with it if it makes you happy. A writer's signature tastefully done is not going to hurt the piece. There are things that will though, some people don't like personalisation on pieces and there are creators out there that are very used to doing that in books (another one to watch out for alongside the big red marker thing... if in doubt take a pencil with you).

Edited by Garf