• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large auction today with a lot of original film concept art

65 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

True. And generic Western props probably won't command much. But, what if it's the Lone Ranger's mask from the classic series? Or John Wayne's eyepatch from True Grit? Or Clint Eastwood's poncho from Fist Full of Dollars?

Westerns may not be what they once were as a genre. But some of those movie props are iconic.

The real question isn't so much what would they go for today, it is what would that sale look like compared to what those pieces may have gone for when Westerns were all the rage (inflation / standard market return comparison, etc)? I think that may be the analogy to this (dubious 1 of 1) Star Lord mask that has been talked about a bit in this thread.

Great post, comiconxion, thanks for taking the time and effort in shedding some light on your experiences within this collecting focus.

On a personal level, I'd love to own some of the props from the 1960s TV show, The Outer Limits. 

I found this auction to be quite interesting.  During the past couple of years I've been collecting movie poster originals - which was represented by a few paintings on offer in this auction.  Other than the Star Wars painting (too expensive for me to want to pursue), there was nothing of real interest for me.  The Vic Fair Mary Poppins poster art had a missing element, so was incomplete (Fair would frequently use paste-ups in the composition of his artworks and I guess part of this one became detached and subsequently lost).  Also, the work looked more like a prototype, rather than a finished painting (as such, I don't go with the description).

If you have a collection worth sharing, I'd love for you to post some of your stuff on this thread . . .

Edited by The Voord