• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to list on Ebay did they change something?

9 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Hi,

I am trying to list on Ebay, and the system is not accepting my postal code which must be numeric only. My postal code contains letters.

Now I am thinking Ebay can no longer be used outside the USA. Is this the case?

Are you on www.ebay.ca (I'm assuming Canada which may be wrong)?  They will have different validation depending on the country.  I list all the time and can't think of a time where I've had to enter my postal code.  Which section of the listing are you working with?

Edited by comicquant

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

Are you on www.ebay.ca (I'm assuming Canada which may be wrong)?  They will have different validation depending on the country.  I list all the time and can't think of a time where I've had to enter my postal code.  Which section of the listing are you working with?

The issue was:

I registered as an ebay user a very long time ago ( I think 1998 or 1999 ) and at that time the only choice I had was to register under the USA. Since the creation of Ebay.ca (which as a Canadian I am required to use to list) I actually had not listed on Ebay.

I could not list on Ebay.ca since my account is registered under Ebay.com.

Ebay.com will not accept my postal code which contains letters. You enter your postal code when you list the item and the system requires the item's current location.

I spent hours on the phone with ebay support trying to resolve this.

Perhaps simpler to say it has been a trying day and it is all fubar.

The change made is: I have to use Ebay.ca to list. I did not know that. :news:

Edited by Artboy99

12 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

The issue was:

I registered as an ebay user a very long time ago ( I think 1998 or 1999 ) and at that time the only choice I had was to register under the USA. Since the creation of Ebay.ca (which as a Canadian I am required to use to list) I actually had not listed on Ebay.

I could not list on Ebay.ca since my account is registered under Ebay.com.

Ebay.com will not accept my postal code which contains letters. You enter your postal code when you list the item and the system requires the item's current location.

I spent hours on the phone with ebay support trying to resolve this.

Perhaps simpler to say it has been a trying day and it is all fubar.

The change made is: I have to use Ebay.ca to list. I did not know that. :news:

Is Ebay going to force Canadians to list on EBay.ca now and in Canadian dollars?   I like you have been on ebay.com since 98.

1 hour ago, jhutton2 said:

Is Ebay going to force Canadians to list on EBay.ca now and in Canadian dollars?   I like you have been on ebay.com since 98.

That is the gist of the conversation I had with Ebays technical support person.

I don't know if this completely applies, but eBay and Paypal charge the conversion rate surcharge for everything listed in a non-US currency.

I did not know this, nor is it listed in any listings I have seen, but I won an item for $309 shipped from Canuckleland, and it ended up being $324 or thereabouts. 

Not that that's the end of the world, but it would have been nice to know that upfront, BEFORE bidding: "All non-Canadian winners will be charged an additional conversion surcharge of X%", and I would have altered my bidding accordingly.

A little annoying.

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't know if this completely applies, but eBay and Paypal charge the conversion rate surcharge for everything listed in a non-US currency.

I did not know this, nor is it listed in any listings I have seen, but I won an item for $309 shipped from Canuckleland, and it ended up being $324 or thereabouts. 

Not that that's the end of the world, but it would have been nice to know that upfront, BEFORE bidding: "All non-Canadian winners will be charged an additional conversion surcharge of X%", and I would have altered my bidding accordingly.

A little annoying.

Exactly, just another cash grab.  They could have just left everything being listed in USD, or give sellers the option to choose CAD or USD (I think most would take the latter).