• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the typical customs /VAT charges when sending to UK?

12 posts in this topic

Long story short,

Sold a vinyl record to someone in England. He didn't like the quoted price for shipping so I compromised (lowering the price of item). So the final price of item was $35 with $25 shipping for a total of $60 and he agreed and paid.

On the custom form I listed the value of item as $35. Item arrived to person safely.

Get an email today:

"Hi!
Got the record, exactly as described. But I'm not so happy, I had to pay 15.77 GPB charge at the post office, because its value ($35) is on the package."

My question, That does not sound right that a $35 item would  get slapped with an almost 50% fee? Did I do anything wrong in this?

Thanks for any insight.

Basically, you'll tend to get a card from the Royal Mail or Parcelforce with a message along the lines of' we've paid the import fees, we're holding your package / parcel, and for us to release it from our warehouse you'll need to pay our exorbitant processing charge', which for me, once, was over £10 on a $40 DVD.

For a long time, items under £15 were exempt, but that was revoked a few years ago.

Books, including comics, are still exempt, but not vinyl records or CDs.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Christopher_Short said:

Long story short,

Sold a vinyl record to someone in England. He didn't like the quoted price for shipping so I compromised (lowering the price of item). So the final price of item was $35 with $25 shipping for a total of $60 and he agreed and paid.

On the custom form I listed the value of item as $35. Item arrived to person safely.

Get an email today:

"Hi!
Got the record, exactly as described. But I'm not so happy, I had to pay 15.77 GPB charge at the post office, because its value ($35) is on the package."

My question, That does not sound right that a $35 item would  get slapped with an almost 50% fee? Did I do anything wrong in this?

Thanks for any insight.

VAT is payable for gifts worth more than £39 or non gift items more than £15.

Customs Duty for items under £135 - no charge. Gifts £135-£630 charged at 2.5%

The fact that your buyer was 'not so happy' has nothing to do with you. He sounds like an ungrateful whinger.

28 minutes ago, Christopher_Short said:

Thanks!

Have you every seen such a high charge for something that low? 15.77 GPB  for a $35 US dollar value?

It does sound about right, allowing for inflation, maybe?

My experience, described above, was a decade or so ago.

4 hours ago, Christopher_Short said:

Technically he should have been aware this would happen

Yup. Always wise for a buyer to check for these complications, to avoid such nasty surprises.

Edited by Ken Aldred

You did nothing wrong. I suppose its similar in the UK as in the rest of Europe. They charge a percentage based on the value, plus "administrative fees" that are standard and don't depend on the declared value. So the 15 GBP can be something like 5 GBP in actual import tax plus 10 GBP administrative fees. Its a risk we have to take in order to get some of these awesome stuff from all over the Atlantic.

Edited by SECollector

1 hour ago, Christopher_Short said:

Thanks!

Have you every seen such a high charge for something that low? 15.77 GPB  for a $35 US dollar value?

Probably VAT at 20% + handling charge at the post office/depot.

1 hour ago, Christopher_Short said:

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, SECollector said:

You did nothing wrong. I suppose its similar in the UK as in the rest of Europe. They charge a percentage based on the value, plus "administrative fees" that are standard and don't depend on the declared value. So the 15 GBP can be something like 5 GBP in actual import tax plus 10 GBP administrative fees. Its a risk we have to take in order to get some of these awesome stuff from all over the Atlantic.

It's a while since I had an overseas delivery but I seem to recall the last time I got stung with a charge it included a £12 handling charge. So SECollector is probably spot on, and the lions share of your £15.77 is that fee, rather than an exorbitant % tax on the value quoted. I also see it as a risk you take - the vast majority of times you get away with it - but when they get you, the onus is on you the buyer to pay it. It's not on to expect the seller to contribute in my view. Hope it ends well for you.