• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 CGC 9.2 slight(p) on eBay...

141 posts in this topic

Wow, I didn't realize they'd give the (P) notation for glue under any circumstances. My understanding is that the pros won't use glue because it does not retain enough flexibility -- especially on the spine (where the work was done on the Batman #1) because the glue does not make a good hinge. Typical pro materials are Japan paper or mesh webbing. Much better flexibility and durability and less of a chance of the hinge coming apart.

"Professional" glues are made from wheat or rice starch or methyl cellulose . It's water soluble/reversible and that makes it "professional"

Japan paper/tissue isn't always needed if edges of tear overlap nicely, but tears seals with added paper are naturally stronger.

Btw how do you think Japan paper is attached? Yep...with glue grin.gif

Here's Link to tear seal demonstration

Wow, I didn't realize they'd give the (P) notation for glue under any circumstances. My understanding is that the pros won't use glue because it does not retain enough flexibility -- especially on the spine (where the work was done on the Batman #1) because the glue does not make a good hinge. Typical pro materials are Japan paper or mesh webbing. Much better flexibility and durability and less of a chance of the hinge coming apart.

"Professional" glues are made from wheat or rice starch or methyl cellulose . It's water soluble/reversible and that makes it "professional"

Japan paper/tissue isn't always needed if edges of tear overlap nicely, but tears seals with added paper are naturally stronger.

Btw how do you think Japan paper is attached? Yep...with glue grin.gif

Here's Link to tear seal demonstration

That is a great link, Arty! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wheat paste, methyl cellulose, Klucel G, PVA, and other adhesives used to attach Japan paper are not referred to as "glue" by conservators though. Archival "glue" is its own animal. I have some at home and it is a lot different than wheat paste and I have never seen anyone recommend the use of archival glue with Japan paper.

I also have a Batman #44 that someone used archival glue on to seal a spine split, probably many years ago judging from how the surrounding paper darkened in color while the glued area remained bone white. The split came apart when I opened the book and the cover was stuck to the interior pages at one place. Very messy. frown.gif

A professional would not seal a spine split with glue or just wheat paste or some other adhesive. The spine acts as a hinge and would almost certainly come apart without some form of repair tissue or mesh webbing used. It is a different story if you are sealing a tear on the edge of the book where the repair does not need to act as a hinge. Povertyrow has a good description in the "How to Detect Restoration" thread about how to use a tiny drop of glue on the end of a toothpick to seal a tear at the edge of a folio. I don't think this would work on a spine split though, as the paper fibers at the split probably would not have a lot of resiliency after the glue hardened. It sure didn't work on the spine of my Batman #44! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

It's up to $51,900 with still 6 days to go.

Yeah, seems like an impressive response in the early going, especially considering that very sharp unrestored Bat #1 8.0 got bid up to $75k 2 or 3 weeks ago.

It's definitely a beautiful book. The exterior cover, which apparently has no work on that area according to the description, is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm not positive, but I could swear this copy looks familiar. I'm pretty sure this is the copy I sold last year. Back then it was a 9.0, and from what I understand the person who bought it from me sent it in to see if the restoration could be removed. It couldn't so instead a little bit of extra work was done to make it a 9.2. If I'm correct and this is indeed the book I sold it is an absolutely stunning copy, I've only ever seen one nicer. The winning bidder will be very happy with it. (But I wish I had kept it just one extra year and sold it now with the Batman movie coming out compared to what I sold it for a year ago!) Then again, I could be wrong because I've sold a couple.. But that S in the corner and the ink mark in the top look really really familiar..

Anyway congrats to the seller because it looks like they're going to meet their reserve price, and congrats to the buyer because its a really nice book!