• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Highest Graded"
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Actually, never.

Back in the mid-2000s I started my slab collection via eBay with a few 9.6 / 9.8 Pre-Unity Valiant Comics, and it was obvious that there must have been many 9.8 copies in existence, and so the repetitious claim, even then, sounded disingenuous at the very least.

Edited by Ken Aldred

23 hours ago, icefires said:

How many folks fall into this trap only to find out there are 51 other copies that are also "Highest Graded?"

"Single Highest Graded" - Now we are getting somewhere.

Or the erroneous comiclink or ComicConnect listing of "Highest Graded" for 9.8s when there are actually 1 or more in 9.9 or 10. Happens at least once a year and I usually report it but sometimes they don't address it fast enough.  Cgc registry helps with that.

However, there's not much you can do if the registry isn't updated before the sale. I've seen a new 9.9 popup on the registry right after and auction ends.

As a GA collector I always roll my eyes when a mid-grade GA is pimped as "highest graded" when it is only so because most collectors don't bother to slab their higher grade copies. Saw a Canadian edition of a book getting pimped as "highest graded" when there were 8-10 copies of the US version that were higher grade. I get that it is "technically" correct.... But feel bad if the winner bid up cause he thought he was getting something else...

More than 1,000,000 CGC graded comics are "Highest Graded"... about 1-in-4 CGC graded comics can claim "Highest Graded".  Just under 100,000 CGC graded comics are "Single Highest Graded"... but more than half of those are "Only Graded Copy".

Dig into the details: http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2017/10/03/highest-graded-but-is-it-single-highest-graded/

On 10/3/2017 at 3:51 PM, valiantman said:

Just under 100,000 CGC graded comics are "Single Highest Graded"... but more than half of those are "Only Graded Copy".

This is exactly why whenever I see the hype about "Highest Graded Copy" on a auction listing for a truly rare HTF GA book, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is probably also the "Lowest Graded Copy".  hm

I've always wondered why they never ever seem to mention that in their auction description.  :devil:

On 10/3/2017 at 9:17 AM, Mackenzie999 said:

Highest Graded isn't collecting what you want; it's collecting what other people want.

Actually, I have always seen Highest Graded as not really collecting a comic book, so much as collecting a CGC label that most likely only has temporary or transitory value as time goes on.  hm

On 10/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, lou_fine said:

Actually, I have always seen Highest Graded as not really collecting a comic book, so much as collecting a CGC label that most likely only has temporary or transitory value as time goes on.  hm

I couldn't agree more. I fell into the trap of going for the best of the best, the highest graded and paying top $ for these, when I collected sport cards. It was fun for some time, but I came to realise that I didn't enjoy anymore so much owning the card if the... label wasn't the right one. I guess I learnt a few things from this that I try to apply to my comic books collecting, and so far I really enjoy it more. Not that I would ever be able to afford the highest graded sample of any of my books, but at least I am not bothered at all by that. 

Edited by SECollector

When I was in high school 4-6 years ago, I used to collect mostly the 'highest graded' keys from the later Bronze Age through more recent books because I wanted the "best of the best" for my books and I couldn't afford super high grade silver keys at the time.  When I looked at what I had when I stopped collecting due to college starting, I realized that a lot of what I had was a bunch of comics that I spent stupidly too much money on that didn't care for.  I sold them off, kept the mid grade, older comics I enjoyed having, and still don't regret it.  

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, lou_fine said:
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, Mackenzie999 said:

Highest Graded isn't collecting what you want; it's collecting what other people want.

The other interesting thing is that at least with SA, they are a very difficult resell (at least here, anyway) due to the excessive prices asked.