• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Techniques Viewed as Restoration - Or Not?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone.

I'm curious about some restoration items.  What is typically viewed as Restoration (per CGC), and what are items that improve the overall appearance or change the book in some way, but are not technically viewed as restoration.

How do you feel about the way these are viewed?

Thanks for your insight.

Eggman

Scopin' with my scopes, he had no hair, launched that shot he was caught out there - beasties 

Restoration stinks and pressing doesn't bug me that much, but sigs and sketches me thinks is good stuff

3 hours ago, Eggman said:

Hi, everyone.

I'm curious about some restoration items.  What is typically viewed as Restoration (per CGC), and what are items that improve the overall appearance or change the book in some way, but are not technically viewed as restoration.

How do you feel about the way these are viewed?

Thanks for your insight.

Eggman

Sorry, maybe you need to phrase your question differently but it sounds like you are masking a question about pressing. We do NOT need another discussion about pressing. Please do not 'stir the pot'.

Why not 'stir the pot' and continue to discuss pressing?  There are probably plenty of folks newer to the Boards who've not participated in exchanging ideas and viewpoints about it here before.

Edited by namisgr

Perhaps they don't consider it restoration because they can't spot it.  Or at least spot it reliably, since it's not all that hard to identify early SA Marvel comics that were pressed.

Then there's the case of spine realignment with pressing.  Perhaps it's not as clearcut to some that this isn't a form of restoration as the more typical pressing job, especially when it's being done to hide tiny stress lines on the front cover rather than correct a spine roll.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Perhaps they don't consider it restoration because they can't spot it.  Or at least spot it reliably, since it's not all that hard to identify early SA Marvel comics that were pressed.

Then there's the case of spine realignment with pressing.  Perhaps it's not as clearcut to some that this isn't a form of restoration as the more typical pressing job, especially when it's being done to hide tiny stress lines on the front cover rather than correct a spine roll.

Spine realignment is the devil's work...................

AV-1_Saginaw_FC_zps5cc36572.jpg

Pressing is now acceptable to most in our hobby. I think spine realignment, a very aggressive form of pressing, is generally not accepted. However, I think spine realignment is applied more often than realized, it's just not talked about, a very hush hush technique. Here is an example of a book purchased on the Boards. Soon afterward the book is again offered on the Boards, pressed by a well respected presser, obviously with spine realignment. ....

Soldnada2.jpg

SoldNada1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Spine realignment is the devil's work...................

AV-1_Saginaw_FC_zps5cc36572.jpg

There are lots more subtle examples than that one out there.

Edited by namisgr

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

There are lots more subtle examples than that one out there.

Agreed, see my other example above, Treasure Chest. It is subtle and I only noticed it because I was interested in the book.

14 hours ago, HighRadArt said:

I'm thinking you started this thread to "egg" on the pressing haters.

I was kidding because the op has egg in his name.  I personally have no problem with pressing.  

Although, I have thought about how much the staples are affected by the amount of humidity being applied to the book.  My guess would be not much when done correctly.  I don't see how one could even tell if staple rust was due to a bad press.

Edited by HighRadArt

44 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

I was kidding because the op has egg in his name.  I personally have no problem with pressing.  

Although, I have thought about how much the staples are affected by the amount of humidity being applied to the book.  My guess would be not much when done correctly.  I don't see how one could even tell if staple rust was due to a bad press.

I know you were kidding but I think he was trying to stir the pot in earnest. I don't think rust would happen from a bad press, honestly never heard that theory before. However, other staple damage can happen, especially staple tears. It definitely happened to me, even using a reputable presser.  

38 minutes ago, Phicks1 said:

My understanding is that cleaning dirt from a cover with a soft eraser or Wonderbread cannot be detected by CGC, and hence is not considered restoration.

Many pressing services also do "dry" cleaning before they press a books.  This again falls into the category of CGC can't detect it reliably so they ignor it or do not consider it restoration.   I also think many pressures consider it good practice so you do not press dirt or other material into the cover and actually make it worse.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

... but I think he was trying to stir the pot in earnest....

And you would be 100% incorrect.  Better to ask me than assume first, especially with the negative comments.  I have no agenda other than my simple question.

Also, Phicks1, Can you please elaborate on dry cleaning.  What is it exactly?  How does it affect the book?

Thanks for everyone's discussion.

Edited by Eggman
Adding Phicks1 to quote.

I am no expert by far but I have vague notion of some the restoration techniques so perhaps my attention to the matter will attract the attention of others much more knowledgeable.

"Dry cleaning" is just that. A dry-cleaning. It is anon-invasive technique that involves using something like an absorptive powder to remove blemishes from a book, usually the cover. I suppose an eraser to remove pencil would be the simplest version of this technique.

As opposed to a wet-cleaning which might be like a bath for the book in a chemical solution. This would be a more invasive technique and I can see why some of the proponents of cleaning would be a against it. It can potentially change the paper quality on a whole nother level. Chemical cleaning is something you might see in preparation for a rebuilt book. 

In terms of pressing I think it is a risk( that some would prefer not take) that can actually make a book kind of ugly( see spine realign above). All pressing does most often involve using water to protect the book and actually hydrate the paper pulp so I could see how it might fall into resto-although CGC does not see it so. I really have no problem with it although technically you are "cooking the books". lol

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

2 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

I am no expert by far but I have vague notion of some the restoration techniques so perhaps my attention to the matter will attract the attention of others much more knowledgeable.

"Dry cleaning" is just that. A dry-cleaning. It is anon-invasive technique that involves using something like an absorptive powder to remove blemishes from a book, usually the cover. I suppose an eraser to remove pencil would be the simplest version of this technique.

As opposed to a wet-cleaning which might be like a bath for the book in a chemical solution. This would be a more invasive technique and I can see why some of the proponents of cleaning would be a against it. It can potentially change the paper quality on a whole nother level. Chemical cleaning is something you might see in preparation for a rebuilt book. 

In terms of pressing I think it is a risk( that some would prefer not take) that can actually make a book kind of ugly( see spine realign above). All pressing does most often involve using water to protect the book and actually hydrate the paper pulp so I could see how it might fall into resto-although CGC does not see it so. I really have no problem with it although technically you are "cooking the books". lol

In addition, dry cleaning for the most part is only going to remove surface dirt, pencil lines, and other material that is lightly attatched to the surface of the book.  Anything that actually penetrates the gloss layer and gets into the fibers of the paper can't be removed by this method. So dry cleaning will not remove staining, foxing, tanning, marker, water marks, etc. Also, dry cleaning is performed without doing anything to the integrity of the book.  Wet cleaning is most often associated with advanced restoration and my require taking the book appart completely to perform the cleaning.

Edited by drotto