• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you rather have one high grade key or many lower grade keys?
2 2

One high or many low  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather own one high grade key, or many lower grade keys?

• one high grade
    • multiple lower grade keys

44 posts in this topic

One high grade key.

OCD Perfectionist Syndrome.

Edited by Ken Aldred

High grade all the way!  For you low grade losers... er, I mean collectors, let's make a deal!  :devil:

But seriously, my preference is as many high grade keys as possible.  I do have some low grade keys also, but they are really place-holders of which I would trade multiples for that one high grade must-have key.

What do you mean by low grade? I would rather have a bunch of 6.0's over 1 single super high grade. But not sure you mean 6.0? Are we talking GA or SA? I would rather have TEC 27 in super high grade than having a bunch of lower graded books from the GA (it's simply my favorite book of all-time). If SA I rather have multiple 6.0's than one single super high grade book.

What do you mean by high grade do you mean 9.2 for one of the top 10 GA or SA books?

Edited by SC22

I think I would prefer 1 high grade mega key like Action 1 or highest graded Hulk 1 or X-men 1 over even some other favorites in lower or mid-grade.

Although with that said I would not stop all my other collecting so I would still try to enjoy comics just readers and such though.

I'm a high-grade collector, but as someone in their mid-30s, I only collect what I like / am nostalgic of (so that's typically copper / modern, with some bronze) which is relatively more affordable in high-grade.

For my personal collection of slabs, my sweet spot is 9.6's for copper and 9.8's for modern. The premium to jump from 9.6 to 9.8 in copper keys is not worth it to me given the dollars we're talking. The current high-end keys on my list are GSX1 and X-Men 94 - I've made the decision to go with 9.2 for those (they're the lowest "NM" you can get at NM-, and I like the "value" sweetspot based on pricing for these books - ie. the price jumps from 9.0 to 9.2 to 9.4 to 9.6)

For me, if I were to get a key "mid-grade", I know the desire to upgrade would always be there. And then for me, I don't enjoy the ownership of it as much. Whereas if I decide beforehand what makes sense for me (based on cost and wanting high-grade), I know once I get it, I won't yearn (enough to matter anyways!) for a higher-grade version.

Obviously this is a different strokes for different folks situation, but this is how I'm wired.

This isn't directed to anyone in this thread and might be only loosely related.  I have a friend that has "champagne taste on a beer money budget".  He always wants mid to higher grade copies (5.0-8.0), but constantly gripes about the prices of said books (ASM 129/Hulk 181) when he finds one in his grade range.  "That's way too much for that copy" he says.  It's happened several times where I will look at the same book and think, "Hmm, price seems right on the money to me".  He also thinks GPA is gospel and has no time for someone that has their book priced higher.  While I do think GPA is a very useful tool, to me, it is still just a guideline.  Any thoughts?