• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thrill of victory turned into possible agony of defeat - ComicLink
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I bid on 2 books that were to end in last night's auction (October 5th).

At 10:32 PM last night I received 2 winning bidder email notifications with the standard checkout information.

This morning I went online to pay for the 2 books and they are not showing up in my checkout. I then go to look at my bids and it now shows that the 2  books I won are still in LIVE auction mode and the auctions only now end on Monday. I called ComicLink this morning and they explained that groups of books were affected by an outage of some sorts and people couldn't bid on those books - mostly from Tales of Suspense to Tales to Astonish - so I'm now in wait mode until Monday.

Anyone else affected by this? Thrill of victory turned into possible agony of defeat.

i saw that and was wondering what the heck was going on. like many of their practices, seems a little dubious. on the other hand, lots of folks are saying they were unable to bid at the last minute, so i guess it does seem fair to have a do-over. 

Edited by www.alexgross.com
revision

11 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i saw that and was wondering what the heck was going on. like many of their practices, seems a little dubious. on the other hand, lots of folks are saying they were unable to bid at the last minute, so i guess it does seem fair to have a do-over. 

I agree that they should have a do-over, but I always think its pretty rough on people who literally got an email telling them they were winners.  I think they should probably be given a credit or something to be used in the future (not in the same auction), maybe like $5-$10 depending on the value of the auction they allegedly 'won'.  That would at least 'appear' to keep the auctioneers 'honest', and provide incentive/penalty for the auctioneers screwing something up.

I wasn't bidding on any books this time around, but I received an e-mail this morning about the server issue.  (Bleep) does happen with tech.  I agree that a small something from ComicLink to the no longer winning bidders would be a nice gesture.

What were the books you bid on?  I wasn't bidding but I will throw some further puishment bids on them :baiting:

Thiss has happened before with either CL or CC or both in the past if I am not mistaken.  I remember one CC auction where they couldn't handle the volume of activity and the site went down during the auction closing.  

Seriously, good luck if you go after them again.  :wishluck:

I had the opposite happen where I was outbid at the last second so I moved on to another book then later see that I was the top bidder and won the previous book. I am glad that I went back and happened to see it because I could not have afforded winning the other book I was about to bid on and the first one.

1 hour ago, romanheart said:

I don't know. Outage or no, I wouldn't extend bidding if you get a message saying you "won". I don't care if the message is automated or not. That to me says it's over.

Somehow, I strongly doubt you would feel the same way if you was the consignor of these books and they all sold at substantially less than recent market value because potential bidders could not bid for your books at the last minute in a snipe formatted auction that CL uses.  :devil:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Somehow, I strongly doubt you would feel the same way if you was the consignor of these books and they all sold at substantially less than recent market value because potential bidders could not bid for your books at the last minute in a snipe formatted auction that CL uses.  :devil:

The part I don't really like is indicating he won but then saying he didn't. That would bother any buyer and put them on an unsafe legal footing. Better to halt all possibles responses, explain the extended bidding, and then send out winning emails when there can be no harm.

1 minute ago, romanheart said:

The part I don't really like is indicating he won but then saying he didn't. That would bother any buyer and put them on an unsafe legal footing. Better to halt all possibles responses, explain the extended bidding, and then send out winning emails when there can be no harm.

I believe the winning email notifications are automatically generated and sent by the system once the auction is over and is not done manually by somebody after the fact.

I am quite sure that CL was not even aware of this error until after the automated winning email s were already sent out. 

It's hard to believe this thread is allowed to stay...  (My morning posts on this very topic got pulled).

So yeah, I'll bite — My gripe is that this isn't the 1st time and it literally blows my mind that they haven't found a solution to these types of foul ups.

I know nobody's perfect, but daaaaaaaamn dude!

:facepalm:

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe the winning email notifications are automatically generated and sent by the system once the auction is over and is not done manually by somebody after the fact.

I am quite sure that CL was not even aware of this error until after the automated winning email s were already sent out. 

I'm suggesting they should change their software. Big $ books can cause big $ lawsuits.

On 10/6/2017 at 1:02 PM, lou_fine said:

I was affected as a buyer. I agree with your comments about the consignors. In fact, I think they should relist all the books after the problem occured. I know I couldn't even log in to the site for a while, finally giving up and coming back much later. When the site locked up, I'm sure they lost a lot of bidders that walked away and maybe never returned that night. Any consignors with books after the problem was fixed should not be happy.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

I was bidding, too. Not bidding on the SA, but some others and it did lock up. 

Reminded me of eBay way back when they would go out of service just about every Sunday night.

They do have a software problem, I've been trying to change my address with them for about 3 years. I get it all fixed, except the town:tonofbricks:

On 10/6/2017 at 8:33 AM, Jordysnordy said:

I bid on 2 books that were to end in last night's auction (October 5th).

At 10:32 PM last night I received 2 winning bidder email notifications with the standard checkout information.

This morning I went online to pay for the 2 books and they are not showing up in my checkout. I then go to look at my bids and it now shows that the 2  books I won are still in LIVE auction mode and the auctions only now end on Monday. I called ComicLink this morning and they explained that groups of books were affected by an outage of some sorts and people couldn't bid on those books - mostly from Tales of Suspense to Tales to Astonish - so I'm now in wait mode until Monday.

Anyone else affected by this? Thrill of victory turned into possible agony of defeat.

I had a similar experience an af15 cgc 6.0 on comiccinnect. I thought I had won at $30k or so. They had to reschedule that auction for a month later.  The site had been hijacked during closing moment of my winning I spent that money on a private sale 7.0.  Turned out pretty good