• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this Action Comics 16

14 posts in this topic

Could you describe the condition of the spine?

It has been described as

"the spine is a bit fragile with tiny splits over half the spine and the lower spine split through most pages also"

I was considering offering a trade for this book.

th_CGCactioncomics27001.jpg

A 6.5 Slight A with a small amount of glue on the spine, but with the #16 having over 1/2 spine split, I am thinking only a 1.5 - 1.8

With the eye-appeal I can't see it going below 3.0 even if the spine totally splits.

Great canidate for restoration... sumo.gif

1.8 - If the price is right and you don't plan on reading it - it's a nice eye-appeal book - or as has been mentioned, a restoration candidate - I would just be careful that it's not just the spine theat's about to seperate - If the pages are britlle at the spine you could have real problems.

I didnt know there was a 1.8 grade

Good = 2.0

Good- = 1.8

Good/Fair = 1.5

Fair = 1.0

From a low grade expert. hi.gif

These two books are excellent for comparison. I know myself that I am way too harsh on GA books in comparison to CGC - like it or not there is a curve at work and since I buy mostly Silver, Bronze and Copper I tend to apply the same criteria which is a mistake.

The two books share common traits IE nice cover appeal and an accumulation of wear on the spine. The 4.0 VG grade allows for a 1" spine split and the centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Considering that the rest of the raw Action Comics book posted looks far superior to the 4.0 grade - its spine could conceivably be in even worse shape and still garner that grade. Have a look at the Marvel Comics #19 that is an example of a 4.5 VG+ book in the Grading Guide. It would seem to share alot of characteristics with the raw Action posted.

On the other hand if the centerfols IS NOT attached at all this book would IMO slide down to the 2.5 or 3.0 range. But if the centerfold is there and only attached at one staple and the spline split is no more than say 1 1/2" this book could very well grade out at 4.0, 4.5, or even 5.0 - again depending on whether there is any staining and the suppleness of the pages etc.

My 2 cents..... hi.gif

Ok I read your post a bit more carefully - so the spine split extends for half the book. Is this split continuous over half the book, or in sections equal to half the book. Since the split extends through multiple pages 5.0 is out the door. But I still think this book could grade out to 3.5 or 4.0. To what degree are the staples rusted?

CGC might grade it higher than a 1.8 - but I can't see it getting anywhere near a 4.0 with that much of the spine split - especially if it's intermittent as opposed to say just the bottom half - a spine that fragile is dangerously close to completely seperating, rendering the book a 1.5 at best if it did.

I would much rather have a copy with the cover loose, than one with nearly half the spine splitting. The irony is that if you uglified it with a piece of tape running along the spine, thus securing it - it could end up with a Universal 2.5 or 3.0. A fully taped outside spine is one of the few areas that I feel CGC is too forgiving with on low grade books.

Tape is the very definition of amateur restoration - and is a far bigger defect than a spot of glue - but I digress.