• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC Grading Question

3 posts in this topic

I got this Wonder 14 at NYCC this weekend.  It's complete and presents well, but it came out of a binder.  Everything is still attached at the spine, but you can clearly see the effects of the binding on the spine.  Here are my questions:  (1) would I get a qualified grade if I submit this?  (2) how much do you think CGC would ding the grade based on the spine?  Thanks

59dbbdd8f2e9e_PhotoScan(2).jpg.ede776109eed2f645158f791dd8d4dfa.jpg

I think CGC reserves the Qualified grade for books that are otherwise high-grade but for a single flaw.  Not sure this one would, ahem, qualify.

I think the grade will take a major hit relative to what it would receive with an undamaged spine.  I'm guessing, but I would be surprised if it got above a 2.0.  There are similar books out there, so maybe someone more knowledgable can give a more accurate estimate.

Is the spine intact or is in trimmed off.  Its hard to tell from your pictures but if its trimmed it would be a restored .5, otherwise maybe a 1.5, but rarely are bound books not trimmed.  Colors are great.

James G