• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the ridiculous L.A. post office
3 3

44 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
8 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

I'm finally done with my PO Box. It was like Sanford & Son in there. Some packages were marked delivered before I got them, others were not. They lost packages they were holding for my PO Box several times a year only to find them once I started a claim.

I finally went with a local UPS mailbox. The local franchise is 1 mile from my house, is open earlier and closes later than USPS. Also, if I am picking up a package, I can park, get my packages, and come back to the car before the radio plays a new song. Usually I wait at the Post Office 10-45 minutes to pick up packages from my PO Box. I was afraid to get a UPS mailbox because of cost but the local franchise only charges 30% more than a PO Box. I also get an e-mail when packages arrive. No waiting behind someone getting a passport either when there are only 2 tellers and no air conditioning.

how does a UPS mailbox work? wouldn't your mail carrier still have to deliver the package to your UPS box? or do you have people send packages via UPS? sorry if this is a dumb question. 

its just a normal mailbox, but its at UPS store (or pseudo-store).   But they are ultimately liable for anything they sign for, and they are a different entity than the USPS, so they have no interest in covering for USPS if errors are made.  And they actually need your business to survive, so they treat you better (in theory).  And because of the additional cost, any given store isn't handling thousands of mail/packages a day.  It all adds up to a better (though usually more costly experience).  Which isn't to say you can't have a great experience at a post office or with your specific mail carrier, just that in some cases it might be justifiable if your local PO isn't great or has bad hours, or is dangerous or has no parking, etc.