• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the ridiculous L.A. post office
3 3

44 posts in this topic

just had to share this insane story-- i just did a major deal here on the boards (my first time) where i was shipped a 5 figure book registered mail. i live in los angeles, where the mail service is ridiculously bad. so, the mail carrier comes today with my registered mail package. she gives it to me and is about to drive off. i said, 'don't you need my signature?' she said, 'no, i've got this slip.' whereupon she shows me a registered mail form that i signed last year for a completely different package. she said, 'if you were not here, i could just use this, and leave your package.' bear in mind this package is worth around 40-45k. yeah. so, i tried to keep my cool, but explained to her that that's not how registered mail is supposed to freaking work and she better fill out a new form, and had better NEVER leave a registered mail package without my signature. 

WTF???? everyone on these boards ships registered mail right?? we are all under the impression it is the most secure PO option out there for high value items. and that the carrier has to personally be responsible for the package, right? apparently they don't give a darn anymore. at least not where i live. 

please don't suggest to call my post office and complain. no one there gives a *&$%. i have only had nightmares dealing with them in the past. had another carrier forge my sig on a registered mail form around 5 years ago and that package disappeared on me. i've had only nightmares with the post office in los angeles. the problem with fedex and ups is they won't insure. what to do??

7 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

just had to share this insane story-- i just did a major deal here on the boards (my first time) where i was shipped a 5 figure book registered mail. i live in los angeles, where the mail service is ridiculously bad. so, the mail carrier comes today with my registered mail package. she gives it to me and is about to drive off. i said, 'don't you need my signature?' she said, 'no, i've got this slip.' whereupon she shows me a registered mail form that i signed last year for a completely different package. she said, 'if you were not here, i could just use this, and leave your package.' bear in mind this package is worth around 40-45k. yeah. so, i tried to keep my cool, but explained to her that that's not how registered mail is supposed to freaking work and she better fill out a new form, and had better NEVER leave a registered mail package without my signature. 

WTF???? everyone on these boards ships registered mail right?? we are all under the impression it is the most secure PO option out there for high value items. and that the carrier has to personally be responsible for the package, right? apparently they don't give a darn anymore. at least not where i live. 

please don't suggest to call my post office and complain. no one there gives a *&$%. i have only had nightmares dealing with them in the past. had another carrier forge my sig on a registered mail form around 5 years ago and that package disappeared on me. i've had only nightmares with the post office in los angeles. the problem with fedex and ups is they won't insure. what to do??

Insane indeed. Now show the books already! :cool:

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Wow-- pretty shocking but hardly unbelievable based on others reporting similar problems.

If I were having such expensive items sent to me, I would definitely get a PO box or have it sent to a secured receiving department like at work.

I second the PO Box. It's the PO's responsibility until you go get it, and if they lose it in their facility it's quite clearly their fault. 

A book of that value I would be tempted to go to the sellers location somehow ( drive, bus, fly ) and pick the book up and carry it home.

I have also had awful experiences with sending and delivery.

Sending:

-I had a book I sent out to a trusted board member disappear. I sent it insured, signature confirmation and with tracking. The book was delivered and signed for, but not to my buyer. Because it was "successfully delivered" I have no insurance option. Just out a nice book and refund the buyer.

Delivery:

-Had a Hulk 3 that was sent in a manila envelope :facepalm: arrive shoved under my door folded in half with an elastic band around it and my other mail.

-Had an Iron Man 1 CGC 9.2 left at the front door - except I lived in an apartment building of 36 units. Left at the front door outside the main building! Lucky me I arrived within a minute of it happening: the postal truck was driving away from my parking lot when I arrived. As I park and walk up to the entrance 2 other people have already looked at the package and gone inside. A third guy bends down to look at the package as I am walking up, he sees me coming and says "Man I can't believe this was just left here. I feel bad for the owner."

Edited by Artboy99

10 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I had the same thing happen years ago. No matter how many times I asked my very "nice" postman not to sign for my packages and leave them on my front steps when I was at work, he'd do it anyway.

The local post office is worthless for this stuff (and I was in a NY suburb, not Los Angeles). I called the Inspector General's office in Washington DC after a while. When the mail person signs your slip, or does whatever wacky thing they decide to do to save them work, it's actually a form of fraud.

They contacted the controlling PO for the area, and spoke to them, those people got back to the local PO, I got an apology from the people who would not talk to me before and the guy stopped signing my name.

He had to actually leave a card and bring it back to the PO so I could pick it up, or redeliver if I chose that...duh;)

https://www.uspsoig.gov/

I haven't done it with comics and it is costly, but if you can afford $40K of comics and certainly if you get into six figures and the box isn't too big, you can just pay for a courier (same person picks up the item and travels with the item and hands you the item at the end).  Go with someone reputable and bonded and they will obviously have insurance.  Yes the cost is WAAAY more than USPS registered, but at some point it becomes worth it.  To make it feel like you're getting your moneys worth, you can pretend its like the 'Transporter'. 

23 minutes ago, revat said:

I haven't done it with comics and it is costly, but if you can afford $40K of comics and certainly if you get into six figures and the box isn't too big, you can just pay for a courier (same person picks up the item and travels with the item and hands you the item at the end).  Go with someone reputable and bonded and they will obviously have insurance.  Yes the cost is WAAAY more than USPS registered, but at some point it becomes worth it.  To make it feel like you're getting your moneys worth, you can pretend its like the 'Transporter'. 

Can this person deliver my book in a padded and locked suitcase that is handcuffed to them?

9 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
34 minutes ago, revat said:

Can this person deliver my book in a padded and locked suitcase that is handcuffed to them?

As always, one must pay extra for handcuffs.

But I'm pretty sure its transported more or less in its original packaging.  So if the seller gives it to them in a padded suitcase, it will be delivered to you in the same padded suitcase.  Although for that amount of money they could be paid to provide the additional secure packaging as well, I'm sure.  One of the companies I used to work for would occasionally do this with contracts or files or other valuable paperwork/documents.  I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it with a comic or two, or whatever is in the brief case.  Its basically the same as using bike messengers in NYC or whatever other big city, just a longer distance. Though I think there are some prohibited items like explosives or durians or whatever.

3 hours ago, Avi said:

Do you guys have any recommendations on the best way to ship international?

Yes. If its a high $ book then package it as well as possible and ship with FedEx priority. It is usually delivered within 2 or 3 days and signature is required. I had delivered most of my higher valued books this way and never had a problem. With USPS I had my Hulk 1 and TOS39 lost somewhere in Turkey for weeks before they finally arrived to me (in Sweden) ...

Edited by SECollector

5 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

I've had multiple 4 figure plus books sent registered mail sitting at my front stoop. I switched to Fedex years ago. Costs a bit more but 0 issues since I made the switch..

what company do you use for insurance, as fedex won't insure your books over a grand?