• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to CGC - First Submission, Cracked Slab

52 posts in this topic

Hi folks -

In a nutshell, not new to the hobby but first time submitting a comic for grading directly to CGC vs. going through my LCS. I picked something not terribly valuable to test the direct submission process and in short, I'm a little disappointed by the lack of protection CGC's individual slab mailers provide. Basically, it took a pretty substantial "ding" and I'm left with a corner cracked on the case, and the two halves of the slabs are pretty loose on this corner.  

Has anyone dealt with something like this before? I did a search and found a lot of "damage case" topics but not anything direct from CGC. I paid extra to expedite the grading so I'm hoping this doesn't cost anything extra out of pocket to be re-slabbed for something totally out of my control. I already sent off a message to them directly but thought I'd ask here as well.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

I had a cracked slab in September when cgc was sending it directly to me. I called them the next day and they offered to re-slab it for free, it just costs to send it back....

Hope that helps :) when you call them cgc will help you fill out the form for reholder .... I think you have to put the original invoice number on it, but they'll tell you ;)

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hi folks -

In a nutshell, not new to the hobby but first time submitting a comic for grading directly to CGC vs. going through my LCS. I picked something not terribly valuable to test the direct submission process and in short, I'm a little disappointed by the lack of protection CGC's individual slab mailers provide. Basically, it took a pretty substantial "ding" and I'm left with a corner cracked on the case, and the two halves of the slabs are pretty loose on this corner.  

Has anyone dealt with something like this before? I did a search and found a lot of "damage case" topics but not anything direct from CGC. I paid extra to expedite the grading so I'm hoping this doesn't cost anything extra out of pocket to be re-slabbed for something totally out of my control. I already sent off a message to them directly but thought I'd ask here as well.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

I got one coming tomorrow... lol

It better not end up like that hahaha

:wishluck:

Before the first one ever sent from cgc that ended up cracked, I had one that I bought from a retailer that came a week before THAT ended up Cracked too! That was my first one..ever. And then the one from cgc, I hope they don't come in threes :wishluck: tomorrow 

I got refunded a little bit ended up spending $20 out of pocket to have the both graded.

But I assure you that's not cgc's business plan, they usually package really well!!

7 minutes ago, romanheart said:

For what it's worth that looks like shipping really did a number on it  :tonofbricks:

I can't see CGC sending out like that.

Oh for sure. That was my thought, I'm sure it was pristine when they shipped it out, just a little surprised that they used a standard mailer that provided very little rigidity other than that of the slab itself. I've had books slabbed before via my LCS but this was my first go at my own private submission. A test of sorts, but I think I'll stick to the LCS... Perhaps the packaging is a little more robust when mailing back multiple submissions? 

Anyways, I appreciate the responses. A very small problem to have in the grand scheme of things. ;) Sounds like they'll do their best to make it right which is all I can ask. Thanks again, guys!

Odd they would ship it so poorly.  Certainly not a one book thing as I got a one book invoice back today, and the slab was shipped in a standard size box, double wrapped in bubbles.  

Definitely worth a phone call and a follow-up email with photos attached.

17 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Odd they would ship it so poorly.  Certainly not a one book thing as I got a one book invoice back today, and the slab was shipped in a standard size box, double wrapped in bubbles.  

Definitely worth a phone call and a follow-up email with photos attached.

Hey Matt, thanks for that detail. Good to know that even with one slab, they usually have better shipping standards. For a better reference pic for the community (in case this happens to one of you) here's another one...  zero protective wrap of any kind or insulated bubble wrap. Just the outer plastic bag, invoice and a flyer + the lovely mailer. Again, I'm sure they'll make it right (fingers crossed), and I really appreciate the quick replies!

IMG_4002.jpg

Edited by Teddy KGB

@Teddy KGB

I've submitted for years, although admittedly not high volume.  I've also never submitted a single, standard sized book (some magazines, though).  Mine have always come in large rigid boxes with plenty of bubble wrap and I've never had a cracked slab issue.

I have no doubt that CGC will make it right for you.  They are very good on that front.  Maybe the solution isn't going back to your LCS (although that's not a bad idea), but maybe submit more than 1 book at a time.  You'll get better packaging and your shipping costs will decrease pretty dramatically on a per-book basis. 

CGC is great about reholding due to damage caused in the mail.  I sent a book in to get reholded and the book was delivered with pretty much the same crack but in a new spot.  Contacted CGC and they paid for shipping both ways and the reholding.  It took a month or so to get it back again but it cost me nothing.

Whenever Ive gotten a single book back its been in a sturdy box. First time Ive seen them use a gemini style mailer.

I normally use UPS as the shipping option, noticed you used fedex. Not sure if that makes any difference as to how CGC packs things.

5 minutes ago, Avi said:

Whenever Ive gotten a single book back its been in a sturdy box. First time Ive seen them use a gemini style mailer.

I normally use UPS as the shipping option, noticed you used fedex. Not sure if that makes any difference as to how CGC packs things.

I was curious about that very thing, I think the last one that I had that cracked was Fed-Ex, same as the one today so :wishluck:

I'll post pics of the box... As soon as it gets here... Is yours FedEx too?

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Yeesh, now this thread has me worried about my single Standard book I'm expecting back any day now.  :/

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't like the looks of that packaging at all. Is this something new ? Doesn't look very secure. 

Maybe it is for 1 book deliveries or for Fed-Ex at least.

I had a multi-book submission, but this one only had one sig at a later times than the others.... so = 1 book delivery.

I'm just now catching my breath, I mean a CGC slab cardboard mailer? I didn't know that there was such a thing!

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Maybe it is for 1 book deliveries or for Fed-Ex at least.

I had a multi-book submission, but this one only had one sig at a later times than the others.... so = 1 book delivery.

I'm just now catching my breath, I mean a CGC slab cardboard mailer? I didn't know that there was such a thing!

Looks like you got some bubble wrap action though. :) Sounds like there can be inconsistent packaging, especially with just one slab. 

I spoke to Erin today and they’ll be making things right. Appreciate the responses!

Edited by Teddy KGB