• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting GA collection on the Bay.
2 2

29 posts in this topic

What bothered me is that he shows the same books over and over, so you don't know if those are the best ones. He could have at least done his 12 pictures with the books laid out on the floor.

There are a few good Detectives I think (first Catwoman on the Cover, he labels as in good shape) the 1st Penguin (and that book is hot) one of the Sensations is usually above guide, the others not so much.  The early  Wonder Womans will go over guide, the first Mxy in Superman 30.

I love DCs, but I'm not enough of a risk taker, unless it was a few blocks away and I could count the pages first, I'll just wish someone else well;)

Edited by skypinkblu

8 hours ago, path4play said:

I had bid in but was lower than current bid (which is still lower than reserve).  Kind of dice roll, and getting riskier imo with additional $k.  But, sure would be fun time to go through the pile, grade, label, keep favorites and offer rest for sale to fellow boardies!

To each their own, I guess.

What you see as a fun time, I see as tedious and a ton of work to try to grind your way through.  Give me 2 or 3 key books in HG condition as opposed to 250 dog eared books which will probably take forever to convince somebody to buy at a price whereby you won't lose your shirt, given the possible high reserve on this lot of low non-key books.  :p

On 10/21/2017 at 12:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Looks like an estate find. This is a relist. Seller originally had a buy it now at $250,000 on them. Nice find!

Be my guess, given the other stuff he's selling.  Don't know what he paid, but people sometimes get excited at estate sales and bids escalate beyond FMV.  I wouldn't be too shocked to find that he overpaid for these and will have trouble getting his money out of them.  Sheer speculation, of course.  

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Be my guess, given the other stuff he's selling.  Don't know what he paid, but people sometimes get excited at estate sales and bids escalate beyond FMV.  I wouldn't be too shocked to find that he overpaid for these and will have trouble getting his money out of them.  Sheer speculation, of course.  

People tend to get excited by larger lots of books in general. I've tracked many lots with 20 books or more on ebay and heritage, and it seems at least half the time the final price is more than the minimum FMV one might expect the books to sell for individually. Okay if you are buying them as keepers, but generally the lots seem more like a resale assortment.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

People tend to get excited by larger lots of books in general. I've tracked many lots with 20 books or more on ebay and heritage, and it seems at least half the time the final price is more than the minimum FMV one might expect the books to sell for individually. Okay if you are buying them as keepers, but generally the lots seem more like a resale assortment.

I think that is neatstuff's MO with many of their listings and speculators jump in thinking they can parse those out and flip.  Of course, you would be trusting their assessment of grade, value, and their hype which generally is not accurate.

21 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

What bothered me is that he shows the same books over and over, so you don't know if those are the best ones. He could have at least done his 12 pictures with the books laid out on the floor.

There are a few good Detectives I think (first Catwoman on the Cover, he labels as in good shape) the 1st Penguin (and that book is hot) one of the Sensations is usually above guide, the others not so much.  The early  Wonder Womans will go over guide, the first Mxy in Superman 30.

I love DCs, but I'm not enough of a risk taker, unless it was a few blocks away and I could count the pages first, I'll just wish someone else well;)

Apparently the seller believes these to be a real lottery ticket - so he doesn't even allow someone an opportunity for taking a risk.  Always a little sad imo to see that type of delusion, if you want to sell them in a giant pile then leave some meat on the bone and set them free into the hobby!  But indeed there not mine (I can only wish so) so I can't be too judgemental? 

Perhaps some of the big sharks will be booking a $300 round trip flight to Wisconsin and convince wiser heads prevail?  Or perhaps seller will be sitting on his find for a while. 

Edited by path4play

The seller seems to have little knowledge of the hobby, so it would be surprising if they laid out serious dough for the collection.  I certainly wouldn't lay out 50K for a bunch of coins or stamps, with only a price guide to give me values, and me only guessing where the items fall on the grading scale.  Their initial BIN of 250K, or about a $1000 a book doesn't even hold up from a casual view of realized ebay prices for individual issues, with maybe a few exceptions. If the reserve is anywhere near that, it's as if the seller heard that the first Superman sold for over a million bucks, so he figures stuff almost that old should be worth a grand a pop. It's like those craigslist sellers who are trying to sell their early 90s collection of mostly random dreck for an average of $10 a book, because how could they not be worth more than they paid, there's lots of #1s in there!

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

The seller seems to have little knowledge of the hobby, so it would be surprising if they laid out serious dough for the collection.  I certainly wouldn't lay out 50K for a bunch of coins or stamps, with only a price guide to give me values, and me only guessing where the items fall on the grading scale.  Their initial BIN of 250K, or about a $1000 a book doesn't even hold up from a casual view of realized ebay prices for individual issues, with maybe a few exceptions. If the reserve is anywhere near that, it's as if the seller heard that the first Superman sold for over a million bucks, so he figures stuff almost that old should be worth a grand a pop. It's like those craigslist sellers who are trying to sell their early 90s collection of mostly random dreck for an average of $10 a book, because how could they not be worth more than they paid, there's lots of #1s in there!

The whole thing smells a bit brittle. Which more or less echoes what others are saying in this thread. Esp. the rapid multi-fire bids from 1 bidder. And the undisclosed reserve. And the limited number of photos. And the dodgy grading system.  And yeah.