• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much has Climate change the affected "Key issue" census?

34 posts in this topic

It's funny. I just had a flood in my apartment , and lost aa couple thousand dollars worth of books, all insured.  After hearing about the flood, my friend called me up and said how great it was, how I was going to sell them anyway and this way I could use the money to open another bar or something. He sounded disappointed when he heard it was only a fraction of the books. Then I got to thinking, wondering if I might enjoy things better with a much bigger check and much less books.  Not an easy thing for me to decide.

23 hours ago, gadzukes said:

By contrast I love hearing the stories of Key issues that are found every year.

I love the story of the guy in Minnesota who bought a foreclosed home and was tearing out the walls only to find a copy of Action 1 behind the drywall that was used as insulation.

Alas, I think we lose many more key issues every year than we find.

And then the book got torn in half in a tussle over it with a relative -- if that's the same book I'm thinking of. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

And then the book got torn in half in a tussle over it with a relative -- if that's the same book I'm thinking of. 

Giveth and taketh away, yikes....

More than other books regardless of monetary value, I’d feel awful if some disaster took out my comic original art and early GA books (late 30s/early 40s).  Hard or impossible to replace.

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 10/24/2017 at 3:56 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Has absolutely nothing to do with climate change

Are you quite sure about this as I though thought that there is a relationship between climate change and global warming to both hurricanes and wildfires.

Doesn't global warming result in retention of more moisture and therefore more extreme rainfall.  This is also coupled with warmer oceans which then results in increased intensity of the hurricanes.  Likewise, global warming apparently results in dry areas becoming even drier which then brings about not only more wild fires, but ones with both greater intensity and longer duration.  hm

So, it sounds like it's only going to get worse going forward as the government also believes there is no such thing as climate change and global warming, as it is just another scam made up by the Chinese to prevent America from becoming great again.  lol  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you quite sure about this as I though thought that there is a relationship between climate change and global warming to both hurricanes and wildfires.

Doesn't global warming result in retention of more moisture and therefore more extreme rainfall.  This is also coupled with warmer oceans which then results in increased intensity of the hurricanes.  Likewise, global warming apparently results in dry areas becoming even drier which then brings about not only more wild fires, but ones with both greater intensity and longer duration.  hm

So, it sounds like it's only going to get worse going forward as the government also believes there is no such thing as climate change and global warming, as it is just another scam made up by the Chinese to prevent America from becoming great again.  lol  :screwy:

Extreme storms and increased wildfires are certainly impacts of climate change, not sure how much that impacts the census but obviously we have one unfortunate member that has experienced the impacts directly. :frown:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Maybe I should have titled this thread "How much do wild fires and hurricanes affect the "Key Issue" census.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:
4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Anybody know the specifics of the tussel that tore the cover?

Article says it might have graded as a 3.0 until the rip happened to the back cover.  It graded out as a 1.5 Blue

http://www.cbr.com/action-comics-1-found-in-wall-of-house-sells-for-175000/

I think there was a thread on the boards about it.  At one point Matt Nelson showed pictures of how he had tried to undo some of the damage and it did look pretty good.  I believe the consignor asked him to take down the pictures, though. 

Edited by Sqeggs

25 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Find an empty room. Record the temperature. 

Put 50 people in it, wait an hour and take the temperature again.

Now add another 50 people and repeat.

That's climate change.

+1

Now throw a bunch of chemicals and gasses into the room and take the temperature

THAT'S climate change