• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID the Era of this Bat Hat!

13 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

A friend of mine sent me some pics of a Bat-Hat that he'd picked up, and asked me to pintpoint an era. He was thinking 70's, I'm thinking 80's. I don't have it in hand, just these pics, but it looks like a standard painters cap to me. Anyone have one or recall owning one? I call upon the power of the boards!

Photo Oct 26, 4 36 40 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 26, 4 36 43 PM.jpg

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It also looks like the kind of thing the 1989 Batman movie would have caused to be made... using the old style logo.

That's kinda what I was thinking, Classic logo on the front, but '89 Batmania likely being the culprit here. Thanks everybody for your guesses!

46 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It also looks like the kind of thing the 1989 Batman movie would have caused to be made... using the old style logo.

Quite possible. I saw loads of those caps, several designs, being worn around the London comic shops that summer.

22 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Quite possible. I saw loads of those caps, several designs, being worn around the London comic shops that summer.

Funny, I went to school in London in the summer of '89, and nearly missed my plane out of Boston because I wanted to catch the Batman  movie before I left.

3 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Funny, I went to school in London in the summer of '89, and nearly missed my plane out of Boston because I wanted to catch the Batman  movie before I left.

I'd been at university there for four years, and watching it was one of the last things I did before leaving.  

Memorable.  And similar, sort of.

I recall seeing a news report back around 89 (or around there) talking about the flood of bootleg Batman hats (maybe other stuff too, it's been awhile). They talked to some guy who referred to one of the hats as a 'bat-hat.' Seeing that term brought back this (useless) memory.

Edited by Silver Ager