• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed with Underground Comics
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have a friend who asked me about his late brother's small comic collection. There are approximately 120 books. My fiend has had the books in his possession for about 10 years. They are all U/G books which I know nothing about.

They date from the late 60's (Zap 0) to 1981 (Dope Comix 4).

At this point, he's sent me a spreadsheet and can't confirm condition as I haven't seen the books yet.

Do these have value?

Any input, help or suggestions would be awesome.

John

mycomicshop.com has an extensive listing of Undergrounds, and tries to sort out the different printings. Go there and enter the books title, you'll get some useful information. Much more trustworthy than going by ebay listings.

Edited by shadroch

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

mycomicshop.com has an extensive listing of Undergrounds, and tries to sort out the different printings. Go there and enter the books title, you'll get some useful information. Much more trustworthy than going by ebay listings.

Good suggestion, you can also send me the list, I may be able to help.

Determing which printing is going to be just as important in assessing value as condition. The Zap 0 is pretty easy to tell, and I can let you know if it's a first print from a rear cover pic or scan. Same with a Zap 1 (front/back cover pics). Others may be done in different ways, but ultimately you are going to need access to the books to perform interior inspection.

31 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

and I can let you know if it's a first print from a rear cover pic or scan. Same with a Zap 1 (front/back cover pics).

Yup.  As an underground key book, the Plymell copy is one of the easier first prints to identify.

From reading MCS's website, it appears there  are differences between the various guides as to what printing is what.

This advisory appears on many of their undergrounds.

PRINTING NOTE: Due to the several discrepancies that occur in identifying the printings for this issue across Fogel's Underground Price Guide, Grand Comics Database, Comixjoint, and other sites, we can only guarantee to be accurate to the level of identification found in Fogel's.

Edited by shadroch

It's tragic that we lost my underground comix mentor, Howard Greber.

He would've been tremendously helpful to the OP here.

Edited by Ken Aldred